Thread: Joseph Marshall

dvddigby

Default Joseph Marshall

Joseph Marshall was christened on 19th January 1813 at Boughton, Nottinghamshire, England.

On the 1861 England census (RG9/2457/82/7) he is shown with a wife, Elizabeth (46), born in Longford, Ireland, a daughter, Elizabeth (13), born in United States, a son, Robert (11), born in United States and a son, Joseph (7), born in Nottinghamshire.

The same group of people appear on the 1871 England census (RG10/3504/12/17). Daughter, Elizabeth and son, Robert are shown to have been born in Brooklyn, United States.

They do not seem to appear on any other England census.

Can anyone, please, provide any more information about these people, before 1861 and after 1871, from the United States records that might be available?

pippycat

I can't find the family in 1881, but this is probably the Marshalls in 1850.

1850 US Federal Census:

Joseph Marshall, age 37, born England. Shoemaker
    Elizabeth Marshall, age 36, born Ireland
    John W Marshall, age 4, born New York
    Elizabeth Marshall, age 1, born New York.

9th Ward, Brooklyn, Kings County, New York - census taken on 16 July 1850.

dvddigby

Thank you very much for that information, pippycat. It certainly looks like the correct family. On the English census returns, Joseph was a Cordwainer or Shoemaker. Are there any BMD records available from USA that might show the marriage details for Joseph and Elizabeth and the birth details for the children John William, Elizabeth and Robert?

Joseph had a brother called John William Marshall born in Boughton c1807. He does not appear on the 1841 or 1851 census in England and I wonder if he might have also been in USA near to his brother? He appears on the 1861 England census (RG9/2419/97/9) as an Innkeeper, with a wife called Sarah who he married in 1858 in England. He also has a son (John William) who was born in Liverpool in 1857 (although on the 1911 census, he says that he was born at sea). I do not think that Sarah was his real mother. On this 1861 census sheet, I think that Joseph is shown (as Jarvis) and I think he is also shown (as Joseph) on the sheet mentioned in the first post.

On the 1881 census in England (RG11/3357/140/21) there is an Elizabeth Marshall (66) who is a widow, in the Union Workhouse, Nottingham. Her birthplace is transcribed as Congford, Ireland. It seems likely that this should be Longford and that she is the widow of Joseph, who must have died at some time between the 1871 and 1881 census dates.

I think John W Marshall, born c1845 Brooklyn, appears on the England census returns from 1861 to 1911 but the other three children, Elizabeth, Robert and Joseph do not seem to be on the England census after 1871.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Joseph Marshall born 1854 Nottinghamshire - 1881 Census married to Hannah with son called Joseph living in Nottingham. Piece 3354 Folio 95 Page 41.
    Possible marriage 1875 Radford, Nottinghamshire Hannah Hallam
    Possible death 1882 Nottingham.

John W Marshall born 1846 Brooklyn - 1891 Census married to Fanny and living in Nottingham. Piece 2696 Folio 9 Page 11
    Possible marriage 1869 Nottingham - John William to Frances Pym

pippycat

Quote Originally Posted by dvddigby View Post
    ........ Are there any BMD records available from USA that might show the marriage details for Joseph and Elizabeth and the birth details for the children John William, Elizabeth and Robert?

I have been searching around for any records but it appears that might prove difficult....New York City began registering births in 1847 and Brooklyn from 1866. But they did apparently record births prior to that time in Ledger format. (whatever and wherever they are!)
    Registration didn't begin officially until 1880 New York and the item I was reading says, amongst all the other info, it is uncommon to find a marriage cert prior to then, but you may well find marriage licences or Banns.

It all got too much for me so I've just emailed New York City dept of Records asking about marriages and 1847/1850 birth records (mentioning Elizabeth and Robert Marshall).....if they reply I shall let you know.

Rebecca

dvddigby

Thank you for that information, Megan. I already have the census details for John William and Fanny (Frances nee Pym) from 1861 to 1911. The 1881 census information for Joseph Marshall is a good possibility. I will need to check further to try and make certain that he is the same person.

Thank you again, pippycat, for taking the trouble to look for the BMD information and for writing to the Department of Records. It is appreciated. As I mentioned, I think that Joseph is shown twice on the 1861 England census - once as Joseph with his wife and their two younger children and the second time listed as Jarvis Marshall with his older son, John, in the household of his brother. Can you see any evidence on the 1850 American census of a separate person called Jarvis Marshall, born c1814 in England, with a son called John W who was born c1846 in Brooklyn?

pippycat

I did have a look before for Jarvis Marshall, (thinking like you!) but same result again this time I'm afraid - nothing I can see in either 1850 or 1860 US Census.

Nearest in 1850 is a John Marshall 1810 but he's a Blacksmith (son John 1842) and whole family born England so not worth bothering with.

For what its worth, I found this in New York marriage newspaper extracts 1801-1880:

Marriage of John W Marshall + Grace Morris, dau of Arthur Morris of Millburn. NJ. on Tuesday 2 April 1867 by Rev. Mr Paddock.

Not having a lot of luck...so pinning my hopes on NY Records coming up with something regarding births or a marriage.

Rebecca

pippycat

I have a reply from NY Records - "unfortunately there are no surviving birth records for Brooklyn prior to 1866".
    No mention of marriages, so another email has just gone off to them.. so we wait again

Rebecca

dvddigby

Hi pippycat. It is good news for me that you cannot find a suitable Jarvis Marshall in America. That and the fact that there does not seem to be any other English record for him, all helps to (almost) convince me that the person, with that name, on the 1861 England census, is really Joseph Marshall.

Thank you for continuing to try and find something from the American Records.