Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ScotlandsPeople

Patrisia

Default ScotlandsPeople

I am chasing the CUMMING family from around Ayton & Eccles and have only just got around to using Scotlands People, so please forgive my ignorance. Can anyone tell me what I might get on an image copy of the old parish records?
    Can I assume it is more than the details from the index?

Mary Young

Quote Originally Posted by Patrisia
    Can anyone tell me what I might get on an image copy of the old parish records?
    Can I assume it is more than the details from the index?
    Shame on you Patrisia, you know we never assume anything
    I *think* you get the entire page from the OPR. It's a lucky dip! The clerk may have kept the records in chronological order; or recorded baptisms and marriages separately; or started a new page for each place within the parish.
    Usually there will be one line per entry, (maybe yielding no more than the index) ... for a marriage, sometimes you get names of parents too ... you may get place of residence within the parish ... (very useful if the names are common).
    Let us know how you get on?

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Patrisia

The OPR from Scotlands People doesnt tell you much more. All the ones i have just give the two names of the people marrying the date and the parish.No witnesses or parents mentioned worst luck !

Mary Young

Hi, Tracey
    I am interested - did they send the whole page, or just the section you requested?

Patrisia

Thanks Mary and Tracey, I think I might just save my pennies!

Hello Mary

They sent a page which said " extract of entries in a old parochial register" it also had two other couples on it. Wether there is more information elsewhere or not i dont know but in all my searching i havent come accross any more info than that.
    Last edited by Chasing Caseys; 05-08-2005 at 10:24 PM.

If you find any of your Cumming family migrating to Edinburgh or Banff i have some in my tree - you never know !

Tracey

Patrisia

Well, Tracy - this particular Cumming line seemed to have wandered down through BER and ROX, until William CUMMING and Christian DONALDSON crossed the border and had three children, 1845 - 1851, in Newcastle upon Tyne.
    I lose them then until 1861 in Kensington, London (the Bulmer Terrace thread)
    If I find they did a detour via Edinburgh or Banff, I will certainly let you know!

OK but it was my Geddes side that married a Cumming not the Donaldson !

Mary Young

Hi, Patrisia
    My husband's family (Youngs) are from Ayton, so I was interested. Did you find any OPR references for Cummings in Ayton? I searched via Hugh Wallis's site, couldn't find any in Ayton ... though there are some births and marriages in Eccles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast