Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    bamagirl

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Hi Barb.
    I am still in the process of collating information to put put together in a post now that Doug has merged the 2 threads.

Do you or any other member know when the post-polygamy period commenced and what were the repercussions, if any, to those men still involved with 2 or more wives?

Colin
    Hi, Colin.

Boy, you sure do ask some interesting questions. Off the top of my head, I think the LDS Church had to eschew polygamy in order for Utah to become a state, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Googling... will get back to you...

Barb

bamagirl

Okay. As regards to dates, the practice of plural marriages started in the the 1830's. It was first discouraged in 1890 as far as new multiple marriages go, but was not heavily enforced by the church until 1904. Some men who did not comply were imprisoned by the government and/or were excommunicated from the church. There are lots of articles about this online. Try searching on "Mormon polygamy history" if you want to know more.

I have family members who joined the church in the 1970's. Aside from a few baby christenings at a local ward, as a non-member I have not attended any ceremonies such as weddings, which happen in a temple. I really am no authority on this topic at all.

-Barb

Colin Rowledge

Hi Barb
    Thank you for posts #'s 21 & 22. The history on 'Mormon Polygamy Hsitory' and "When did Utah become and how they achieved Statehood" [which I found on Google] was most interesting.

Now I know why my 3rd cousin went to Utah, but not exactly when. Combined with the loss by fire of most of 1890 census and being unable to any of the family in 1900 census it will be difficult.

More later.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Default Brickwall demoliitiion experts REQUIRED

This exercise is my 2nd biggest Brickwall - and for any assistance I will be grateful.

My 2nd cousin was Delilah Mollard born in St.Hilary, Cornwall on 17 December 1864. Her father was a Miner. At the time of the 1871 census her family had moved to Cleator, Cumberland. She had 2 siblings. On 26 August 1872, she, her parents and her 2 sibling arrived in New York and made their way to Colardo where all were located [including 2 other siblings] in the 1880 census which was taken in early June that year. She was aged 15&1/2. One of the 4 sibngs that was in the family in 1880 was a 1month old daughter. This baby, I think prompted the further actions of Delilah.

Within 3 weeks of the census, she married [after her parents objected] William Bowden - an Englishman from Tavistock, Devon. He also was a Miner. At the time of marriage, he was 43 days shy of his 25th birthday. The couple had children, how many exactly I have yet to find, but have the following - Elizabeth Mary [9 April 1884] Bowden, John Mollard [23 April 1887] Bowden and Asenath Laity [19 March 1889] Bowden.

Contrary to what I stated in post #1, she did not divorce William. He was killed in a mining disaster on 9 September 1889 in Golden, Jefferson Co. Colorado and when the mine eventually collapsed he was entombed with others on 11 September 1889. With 3 young children - eldest 5 - disowned by her parents and no job skills, she left the area and settled in Utah.

The 1890 census was destroyed and I cannot find this family in 1900.

There is still more to follow but I would to start with finding them in 1900.

Thanks for reading this blurb.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Following on from post #24 here follows the rest of what I've found after 1900 for Delilah Bowden:

1910 census - held 20 April
    She is enumerated as Delilah Bowden - age 45, divorced, having given birth to 10 children of whom 5 are still alive. She lives in Eureka, Juab Co., Utah. Her occupation [I think from the image] a Nurse working from home on Own Account

1920 census - held 6 January
    She is enumeated as Delilah Bowden - age 55. She claims Naturalization as of 1877. She now states she is a Widow. She still lives in Eureka and has no occupation.

1930 census - held 10 April
    She is enumerated as Delilah Bowden - age 65. She is still a widow with no occupation and living in Eureka. What is interesting about this census is there is a 19 year old granddaughter - occupation Music Teacher, with father born in Canada and mother born in Idaho. Have yet to trace this granddaughter.

Not found in the 1940 census.

26 October 1948, she dies in Eureka at age 83 and her death was registered as Delilah Mollard Bowden.

To me the questions are obvious, but if questions need answering - fire away - otherwise can we close out her life?

Colin

Colin Rowledge

By mutual consent, the children named in post #24, will be considered seperately in a thread of their own.

As was suggested, I am posting this message as a sugestion. Can responses to this thread be limited to The history of the typical Mormon lifestyle pre and post 1900 and the couple named in post #24 and followed up in post #25 ?

Thank you

Colin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123