shume

Default Passenger list SS Frankistan

I am searching for details of the above ship from UK to India between 1883 and 1886. My ancestor A H Hume died 1886 Calcutta, occupation "2 off ship Frankistan" (Family search India deaths and burials 1719-1948) Have tried Google with no success and the date falls outside of the available passenger lists ex UK 1890-1960 (findmypast etc)
    Thanks
    Stephanie from Australia

Reputation beyond repute

Frankistan, official number: 86151. When built: 1882. Registry closed: 1902.

The National Archives; BT 99/2197

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...accessmethod=0

The Frankistan was a sailing vessel registered Liverpool. sank 1902 en route from Newcastle to San Francisco (wrecksite.eu)

The vessel was described as a cargo ship. Could your ancestor have been part of the crew?

Coromandel

You can track some of the ship's movements through the columns of the 'Dundee Courier'.

18 Feb 1885: arrived in Calcutta from Dundee

The 'Dundee Courier', 14 April 1885:
    'ARRIVAL FROM CALCUTTA. - Yesterday afternoon the ship Frankistan, Captain Brown, arrived from Calcutta, and was berthed in Victoria Dock. She has a cargo of 14,000 bales of jute, and has made the passage in 143 days. Captain Brown reports that he experienced light winds and calms during the voyage.'

9 July 1885: reported as being at 43 N., 26 W.
    1 August 1885: left Dundee for Liverpool
    27 August 1885: at 50 N. 11 W., 'bound out'

4 July 1886: arrived at Madras from Mauritius

circa 1 January 1887: arrived at St Helena, en route from Calcutta to Dundee
    24 January 1887: arrived at Falmouth
    30 January 1887: arrived at the low water jetty, Dundee (the custom house later dealt with its cargo of jute and castor oil)
    17 Feb. 1887: left Dundee for Liverpool

The Dundee Courier of 24 Feb 1887 in an article called 'The Dundee Jute Fleet' reported that 'the chartering of vessels for the carrying of India to Dundee is now almost over for the season.' The Frankistan is on a list of ships mentioned in the article.

(Google for lots about the Dundee jute mills.)

Quote Originally Posted by shume View Post
    My ancestor A H Hume died 1886 Calcutta
    What did the A.H. stand for?

Quote Originally Posted by shume View Post
    occupation "2 off ship Frankistan"
    2 off = 2nd officer?

shume

Default Passenger list SS Frankistan

Thank you to everyone who replied. I am really grasping at straws with this death entry and it would appear not to be my ancestor. He was A W Hume (am prepared to accept transcription error) born Ireland 1841 who was declared bankrupt in 1883 (England) and I have been unable to find any trace of him(census, death records)after that in England, Ireland, USA, Australia, Scotland, Channel Islands where other relatives of his lived. He was an Army Tutor and had passed India Civil Service exams so I thought this could be him, but not as a 2nd Officer on a cargo ship??
    Stephanie