exiled brummie

Angry Some Great Grandkids Do Have Them

At long last, one end of my g grandmother's brick wall came tumbling down yesterday, thanks entirely to a certificate ordered in desperation.

She was born Mary Robinson in 1858 allegedly in Birkenhead, married in 1877, and then again as a widow in 1887 when she became Mary Brittain, but has yet to be found in the 1861 and 1871 censuses. She appears in the 1911 census, so she died after then, but before I was old enough to retain memories.

The reasons for the problems are down to the fact that she used a different 2nd given name (Ada) when she married. I bought every Birmingham registered death certificate for an appropriately aged Mary and Mary A Brittain, drawing a blank each time. The same applied to a number of Wirral registered birth certificates.

In desperation a search was run again, just in case a death registration had been overlooked. One stood out, for a Mary C Brittain, and as her mother in law was also Mary C Brittain it was in for a penny in for £9.25. Bingo!! Her death was registered by my g grandfather and her second name is given as Catherine.

There are just 2 Mary Catharine birth registrations in the period 1856-1860, but neither is in Birkenhead. They are both dated 1858, one in Ashton under Lyne and one in Liverpool. The latter has to be the favourite, but both have been ordered. Sorry pooches but your treats cupboard will be emptier than usual for a couple of weeks.

Jan1954

Oh good luck and fingers crossed, but it certainly sounds like you are on to a winner with the Liverpool one. The trouble that these ancestors put us through, eh? Tuh!

LittleSpark

Fantastic news - I'm sure the pooches won't mind misssing out on their treats for a couple of weeks.

As Jan says - fingers crossed.

Sheila

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSpark View Post
    Fantastic news - I'm sure the pooches won't mind missing out on their treats for a couple of weeks.
    The pooches will be quite happy with an extra walk instead! Mind the mortar from the fallen wall on the way out!
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Knowledgeable and helpful

Am pleased for you, news like that keeps us all in hope.

Sorry for the pooches, there must be a nearly healthy snack in the pantry?
    If not an extra pat from me.
    ELMA

Nicolina

d you have copies of either marriage certificate? If so, watwas her father's name?
    The 1861 Census (RG09 Folio 149 Piece 2644 Page 34) for Tollmache Road, Birkenhead has:
    Samuel ROBINSON b. 1831, a Quarry Labourer born Ireland
    Jane ROBINSON b. 1831 b. Ireland
    John ROBINSON b. 1855 b. Ireland
    Mary A. ROBINSON b. 1858 b. Birkenhead
    Rose A. ROBINSON b. 1860 b. Birkenhead

Nicolina

in 1871 the family were living at Vine Street, Birkenhead (RG10 Folio 154 Piece 3746 Page 67). There were 3 more kids and Mary A. had become Margaret.

exiled brummie

Thanks for your input Nicolina. Yes, both of Mary's marriage certificates were obtained some time ago. Both give her father's name as Alexander, who was a cashier. If g grandma is to be believed he died sometime before 1877. There is one possible death registration in Liverpool but until I have found his wife's 1st name there seems little point in using more of the dogs' dinner money - the winter fuel allowance went on Xmas presents for my granddaughters (now there's a surprise).

An Alexander did turn up in the 1861 census. He was a bank clerk, but to my horror was single. Gentle massaging of the none too clear census return image revealed his surname was mistranscribed, it should have Robertson. Will wait for the brown envelopes from GRO before proceeding further.

exiled brummie

G grandma was born in Liverpool and her parents' marriage certificate is now ordered.

Hurry up GRO