Thread: John HAYTER

George566

Default John HAYTER

My main point of interest is John Hayter, believed born 1690, who lived most of his adult life in Melbury Abbas, Dorset. His 'wife', Susanne, bore him 7 children, the first born in 1715 and the last in 1732, when Susanne apparently died in childbirth. The child, William, survived. I can find no trace of their marriage nor of John's death. John appears to be the son of the Rector of Sutton Mandeville, Augustine Hayter, which is mentioned in a book entitled 'Homes of Family Names' by Henry Guppy. He states it as a fact without providing evidence. Any ideas how I could carry this forward (or backward) would be much appreciated. There is more info I could provide but this is the basis of my difficulty. GH

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by George566 View Post
    I can find no trace of their marriage nor of John's death.
    He must have died between 20 March 1762 (when he made his will) and 20 April 1770 (when probate was granted).

You can see a scanned image of the will in Ancestry's 'Dorset, England Wills and Probate 1565-1858' collection; it should pop up in the search results but if not you can find it by browsing the collection: choose the relevant probate court (Bristol Consistory court) and book ('HA-HI (Wills, Admin.)) then go to image number 282. The details of the grant of probate are written on the back of the will, and appear in image no. 283.

George566

Very many thanks. Now I know where Guppy got the date from; he said John died in 'about 1770'.