Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default LAITY - ANDREWARTHA - MOLLARD CONNECTIONS

My 1st cousin 3X removed was John Mollard born 5 April 1844. He married Selina [12 Nov. 1864] in St. Hilary, Cornwall. A month later a daughter, Deliah, was born 17 Dec. 1864.

He, Selina and Deliah moved to Cleator, Cumberland and he was an Iron Ore Miner - previously a Tin Miner in Cornwall. Prior to the move to Cleator they had 2 more children - one of each - William - 4 Nov1866 born in Breage and Selina - 24 Jul. 1870 in Germoe. This family is in Cleator at the time of the 1871 census.

In Aug. 1872 the family arrive in New York on 27 Aug. 1872 and for a time John and family are in Pennsylvania where a son John is born in 1876.They contine West and by 1880 are in Idaho District, Clear Creek, Colorado where John is a Miner.

In the 1880 U.S. census, I have John, Selina and the 4 children in Idaho District etc. however there is a 1 month old baby unnamed. The census was taken 10 June 1880. The mother [Selina] is aged 33 having been born 9 Sept. 1846 and the daughter Deliah is 15.

11 days after the census is taken - on 21 June 1880 - the daughter marries. The 1st child for Deliah after her marriage is born 9 April 1884.

The mother Selina has a daughter Emily that shows up as age 3 in the 1885 Colorado State Census. This indicates abirth c. 1882

So my suspicion is that the baby born in May 1880 is Deliah's rather than Selina's even though the census states she is the daughter of Selina.

Is my conclusion correct and if so, or otherwise, how do I go about finding the burial record

Colin [aka V.W.v.G]

Nicolina

do you have the family on later Censuses?
    In 1900 Selina is a widow BUT her birth is given as Sept. 1859 - "age last birth is 40/50 (one over-written)" and she has had 6 kids, one of whom died. Living next door is John MOLLARD, born Pennsylvania in Feb 1876, with wife Winifred, born England ? 1877. They've been married "2/12" (2 months?) and have had no children.

Nicolina

in 1910 Selina is living with Fred M. & Emily THOMAS (married 9 years) and their children : Priscilla aged 6 & Cora aged 4. Selina is enumerated as Mother in Law and married for 41 (or 47) years and had 6 kids, one of whom had died, but no husband at home.
    In 1920 she is still living with Emily who is now Head of Household and appears to have another daughter Pearl E. aged 14. However no Cora is at home and Pearl seems to be the age Cora would have been - work that one out.

To answer your question Colin, yes, you are jumping to conclusions and until you have proof that isn't supposition you have to believe what is on the official forms.
    No matter what you "instincts" tell you, there is absolutely no proof. How will you find proof? You will have to investigate the area where the birth took place and see if registration of births was required then. If it is then you have to find a way of getting a copy of the birth registration. I think that's the only hope.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

pippycat

Colin I agree with Ladkyis!

I've been looking at the cenus info and to be honest I can't see why the "1 month old unnamed baby" should be anything other than daughter to John and Selina.

The 1880 census for Idaho district, Clear Creek, Colorade is dated 4 June 1880.
    John "Morey" 1844 England. Miner
    wife: Selina 1847 England
    dau: Delia 1865 England
    dau: "Lalina" 1871 England (Selina)
    son: John 1876 Pennsylvania
    unnamed daughter transcribed as 1 month old, but the image reads she is 5 days old.

1885 Colorado census for Clear Creek, dated 1 June 1885

John "Mallard" 1844 England. Miner
    wife: C Mallard 1847 England
    son: Wm 1867 England
    dau: "Cloma" 1871 England. age 14 (Selina)
    son: John 1876 Penn age 9
    dau: Ada 1880 Colo age 5
    dau: Emily 1882 Colo age 3

That Ada name is not right - I don't know what its supposed to be, but it doesn't resemble the Ada written further down the page.

So thats Selina's 6 children (don't know which one of them died)

I notice Fred M Thomas is boarding with Selina and her son John with his wife Winnifred on 1900 census - so thats who Emily wed.

The other problem with Emily and Fred's daughter Cora Thomas is simple - she becomes Pearl E!

Colin have you contacted the person who made the corrections to the Mollard name on Ancestry?
    Judypowell1630 - she must know something about the family, she states Selina is her g.g.grandmother.

She is researching the names: Thomas from Colorado, Andrewartha and Laity from Cornwall.

Judy has also made a correction on 1910 census to Selina's year of immigration to the US.
    1901 census for Clear Creek

Fred M Thomas 1882 Colorado
    wife; Emily 1882 Colorado
    dau: Priscilla 1904 Colorado
    dau: Cora 1906 Colorado
    mother in law: Selina Mollard 1849 England. married.

This Selina is probably the same one as:

1861 England census: 1591 f116 p5
    Chesaisse? St Hilary.

Selina Andrewartha 1847 St Hilary servant to Ralph Laity 1826 St Hilary. Farmer.

Rebecca

Colin Rowledge

Thank you Nicolina, Ladkyis and Rebecca. You all make perfect sense and Tes, I thyink I have jumped to the wrong conclusion.

As you are all aware, the 1890 census is Fragmented and the area of my interest is not one of the fragments available.

My source of access to U.S. census after 1890 is Amcestry and while I can find most of the folks from 1910 on, I vannot find the 1900 census that you have all found. Can you please tell me how you accessed it?

There are some family trees on A... that I am loo9king at and will be making an attempt contact the tree owners.

From a review of those trees, apart from Census info., much of the results appear to point to an site called Millennium File which according to the description is a database created by the Institute of Family Research and their source is Heritage Consulting, Salt Lake City, Utah. Is anyone familiar with this organization?

Colin

pippycat

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post

From a review of those trees, apart from Census info., much of the results appear to point to an site called Millennium File which according to the description is a database created by the Institute of Family Research and their source is Heritage Consulting, Salt Lake City, Utah. Is anyone familiar with this organization?

Colin
    Colin, that Millenium file is on Ancestry..such as it is:

Name: John Mollard
    Spouse: Selina Andrews
    Born: 6 April 1844 Trewithen, Cornwall
    death: 1895
    Parents: John Mollard and Jane James
    Children: Deliah, William, Selina.

In the "Notes" section:

Birth: 6 April 1844
    Place: Trewithon, Cornwall
    Death: 1895

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by pippycat View Post
    Colin .

Chesaisse? St Hilary.

Selina Andrewartha 1847 St Hilary servant to Ralph Laity 1826 St Hilary. Farmer.

Rebecca
    Ralph Laity - the farmer in the 1861 census - is [possibly] some relative of Selena. What make me think this, is that I have found a record of a death - California Death Index 1940-1997 - which has the following entry:

Name: Selina Laity Mollard
    Birth Date: 9 Sep. 1846
    Birth Place: Other Country
    Death Date: 24 Dec. 1947
    Death Place: San Diego
    Mother's Maiden Name: Laity
    Father's Surname: Andrewartha

She was 101 years old when she died.

Colin

pippycat

Colin thats why I suggested you contact Judypowell1630 - she has a whole host of info (apparently) on Selina.

If you still need 1900 US Fed. Census try finding Selina by searching for:

Fred M Thomas 1879 Colorado
    (he's the Falls River, Clear Creek, May 1879, Boarder!)

The Millenium file has Selina Andrews for John's wife - the way the Andrewartha name gets mangled, could easily be the same person.

Rebecca

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by pippycat View Post

Colin have you contacted the person who made the corrections to the Mollard name on Ancestry?
    Judypowell1630 - she must know something about the family, she states Selina is her g.g.grandmother.

She is researching the names: Thomas from Colorado, Andrewartha and Laity from Cornwall.

Judy has also made a correction on 1910 census to Selina's year of immigration to the US.
    1901 census for Clear Creek

Fred M Thomas 1882 Colorado
    wife; Emily 1882 Colorado
    dau: Priscilla 1904 Colorado
    dau: Cora 1906 Colorado
    mother in law: Selina Mollard 1849 England. married.

Chesaisse? St Hilary.

Rebecca
    Hi again, Rebecca

Have made contact with Judy and am awaiting a reply.

I found Selina in 1851 census as a 4 year old visitor, along a 6 year Susan - wonder if they were sisters?

I'll review my notes shortly and update this thread with my findings.

Colin

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast