Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy9 View Post
    Is this the marriage, Colin?

2nd Aug 1843, Breage, John Andrew of age, residence - Trescow, bachelor, occ. Miner, father - John (Miner)

Sarah Laity, of age, Trescow, spinster, father - Thomas (Miner), married by banns, both signed. Witnesses: James Rogers and Henry Davey. Courtesy of Cornwall OPC.
    Yes Lizzy9 that's the one I have even though several trees on Ancestry have the date as 22 August 1843, however they have not commented as to where the date came from.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

What are the chances that the occupatioon of the father - Thomas [Miner] is a mistranscription?

I have found 2 baptisms in St. Hilary that are of interest. The father was Thomas and the mother Sally. The occupation of Thomas in these 2 baptisms - Sally 19 December 1824 and Selina 29 July 1827 - is a Miller

In addition, my contact Judy has indicated that from her research the address at the time of both baptisms - Retallick Mill - is prominent

Colin

Lizzy9

Colin, there is a Thos with wife Sally and children in 1841., maybe he changed his occupation?

St Hillary. HO107; Piece: 144; Book: 3, Folio: 53; Page: 18

Thos Laity 60, Miner
    Salley Laity 59
    Ann Laity 23
    Wm Laity 20, Miner
    Henry Laity 17
    Sally Laity 15
    Celena Laity 10

Lizzy9

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    What are the chances that the occupatioon of the father - Thomas [Miner] is a mistranscription?

I have found 2 baptisms in St. Hilary that are of interest. The father was Thomas and the mother Sally. The occupation of Thomas in these 2 baptisms - Sally 19 December 1824 and Selina 29 July 1827 - is a Miller

In addition, my contact Judy has indicated that from her research the address at the time of both baptisms - Retallick Mill - is prominent

Colin
    The address in 1841 is Tregembo Retallack, or may be Retallick.

There's baptisms for other children too. However, I'm unconvinced Selina [1841] is Thomas and Sally's dau as she is only 10yrs old and Sally 59. More research necessary!

Lizzy9

William's baptism records him as a Miner, Ann's baptism has him as a Labourer!

Lizzy9

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy9 View Post
    I'm unconvinced Selina [1841] is Thomas and Sally's dau as she is only 10yrs old and Sally 59.
    I was hoping to check Sally's age in 1851 but alas Thomas is a widower and a Farmer

HO107; Piece: 1918; Folio: 74; Page: 15

Colin Rowledge

Hang on a bit. I think there is a bit of a mix up.

My head is pounding so I'll be tomorrow. Leave it until I respond, please.

Colin

Lizzy9

1861, still at Retallack and still a Farmer. RG 9; Piece: 1591; Folio: 132; Page: 24

There's a Miller next door on one side and a John Laity 74, Farmer, on the other side.

Thomas Laity 81
    Henry Laity 41, son
    Ann Laity 47, dau
    Arabella Laity 18, dau (maybe Ann's dau??? and the child Tebela [1951]
    Alfred Laity 8, son (grandson???)

Still alive in 1871, a Farmer aged 91 (wow!!, a great age for the times) RG10; Piece: 2337; Folio: 51; Page: 17

With same folk as 1861, but Arabella is now Isabella and recorded as grand dau, Alfred grandson.

Lizzy9

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Hang on a bit. I think there is a bit of a mix up.

My head is pounding so I'll be tomorrow. Leave it until I respond, please.

Colin
    Just seen this, Colin. OK.

Hope you feel better tomorrow.

pippycat

Sorry Colin, I thought Judy might have had Selina's parents already.

Thomas Laity marriage to Sally Jopps 6 May 1809 St Hilary - on Pallots marriage index.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast