Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    terrysfamily

Default I'd like to introduce you to my town

I realise that this may not be to every ones interest

Here is a small photo montage compiled by Keith Owen of our town on "youtube' c 1900-1930

My Town

Lizzy9

Terry,

I have no affiliation with Knighton, and have been to Wales only once (Pembroke), but what a lovely video it is and the town looks delightful. Has it kept it's quaintness? I love looking at old photos, so thanks so much for this.

BTW, Pembroke is a beautiful place (though we had a strange experience there!) not Pembroke's fault, but rather the people we went with booked 'odd' accommodation! I'll say no more! We had a lovely holiday in spite of where we were staying.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Thanks Terry, nice to visit new neighbourhoods. Is it much changed other than transport & clothing? Many of those buildings remain? & do you still have a train station?, so many of those disappear in Australia...love trains.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Famous for offering help & advice

Thanks Terry...
    I enjoyed the tour...how much do you remember from your childhood or did you grow up somewhere else?! Sorry.....just had to ask!!! I honestly did enjoy it ...it appers to be good size.

Sue

wendymac

Lovely little town Terry, I'm sure I saw you stood outside the India & China shop ha ha ha...(only joking)

X X X Wendy

LittleSpark

We always travelled through Knighton on our way to Wales (but that's been several years ago now) - very pretty place.
    Thanks for sharing the tour with us Terry - love looking at old photos.

Sheila

PS I see you've been promoted to a Brickwall Demolition Expert now - well done.
    Last edited by LittleSpark; 26-01-2013 at 9:19 AM. Reason: Added PS

terrysfamily

The town is basically the same. Quite a few shops no longer exist and there are no shops at all in Market Street, they were demolished to make way for a parking spaces.

More pictures of Knighton can be found on The Peoples Collection Wales

We now have a supermarket that sells petrol too and that has been the cause of a lot of the closures. Most of the little shops have gone into antiques or charity.

We still have a train station although it has been reduces to one line and is no longer manned. The station house is now the local vets.

The May fair still comes every year but it isn't a patch on the ones I remember as a kid.

Knighton still puts on it's carnival every year at the end of August but this, like the May fair, isn't as good as it used to be. (my opinion)

We still have a cattle and sheep market most Tuesdays and Thursdays. Some people complain of the smell (usually city folk who have moved to the area expecting Shangri-La) but it doesn't bother me as I was brought up in a farming community, which is just as well as I live next door to the market.

At one point there were 14 Hotels, pubs or ale houses in town but now there is just 1 hotel, 4 pubs and the R.A.F. club.

Industries in town are slowly going. The main cause is that we are so far from the motorways. We now live in an "I want it yesterday'" society, so unless you have a dedicated delivery and despatch fleet you just never get the parts on time and therefore have no chance of delivering the goods to the customer on time and they go somewhere else.

To mark the accession of H.M. Queen Elizabeth II in 1953 the initials "ER" were planted out in deciduous trees within an evergreen forest on the hill to the north of the town. They fell the trees a couple of years ago and so that has gone too. A picture of which can be found on the net.

I didn't grow up in this town but have lived within a 12 mile radius all my life. Knighton is a border county/country town. Knighton is in Radnorshire (or Powys, Wales as it now is) and borders with Herefordshire and Shropshire in England. I was born in Shropshire, raised in Herefordshire and now live in Radnorshire.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSpark View Post
    I see you've been promoted to a Brickwall Demolition Expert now - well done.
    Thank you, but what were they thinking

dylan thermos

Hi, I enjoyed your pictures but am now curious as to where Knighton is so will google map and check its location......:-)
    I'm in south Wales.......
    PS. From the map it looks to be right on the border of England and Wales. Is it split or is it in one country?......
    Last edited by dylan thermos; 26-01-2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: additional info

terrysfamily

The main part of the town is in Wales. The border with England is the river Teme. The train station is the other side of the Teme and is therefore in England as are the houses in that part of town. Offa's Dyke (if I have my history right) used to be the border between England and Wales. Offa's Dyke seems to run at the west part of the town therefore making Knighton in England but it's not, it's in Wales. It's welsh name is Tref-y-clawdd, roughly translated as the town on the dyke. I think the boundaries were moved somewhere back in the mists of time. I have never gotten my head around that one and have never actually had it explained to me in words of one syllable or less

It is on google maps. put in Knighton LD7 and you can travel the streets and see what the town looks like today (well not actually TODAY but you know what I mean)

Gill Hart

Thank you for posting this Terry. My aunt and uncle live in Knucklas so I shall forward the link to them - my aunt is part of a local history group and will be very interested.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast