Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nicolina

Default An international love story?

What I know - Frederick BRADLEY, born Mobberley, Cheshire abt. 1885 appears to have gone to Canada and back between the 1901 & 1911 Censuses. On the 1911 Census (RG14PN21541 RG78PN1283 RD445 SD2 ED18 SN225) he has a wife Hannah born Middlewich, Cheshire abt. 1887 and a daughter Ellen born Esquesing, Ontario abt. 1909. Family Search shows a marriage between Frederick BRADLEY (with correct parents names) and Hannah WOOD in Ontario in 1907 but no record of daughter Ellen's birth.
    Could some-one with access to Anc* please check both out-going and in-coming passenger records for me. I'd love to know whether he followed Hannah just to marry her.
    thanks in advance,
    Elaine

pippycat

Elaine,

Not found Fredericks travel yet, but the birth of daughter Ellen is on Ancestry:

Ontario Births:
    County of Halton, district of Esquessing?

Bradley, Ellen
    born: 2 November 1908
    father: Frederick Bradley
    mother maiden name: Hannah Wood
    residence of father: Lot 14 - 4th Line.
    person making return: Hannah Bradley
    date of registration: 28 November 1908.

I'll have a look at the passenger lists for Freddie!

Rebecca

pippycat

This one is possible:

Fredk Bradley c1885, age 21, Gen Lab, English.
    UK county came from: Cheshire
    going to Toronto
    depart Liverpool, arrive Montreal 20 July 1906 on ship "Canada"

There is another Fredk Bradley age 21 arrived on "Tunisian" 6 April 1906 but I don't think he's yours.
    The corner of the page is all blackened so its hard to see, but the county this one comes from definitely doesn't start with a C, infact it more resembles Wiltshire.

There are others but not with enough info to know who they could be:
    Fred. Bradley c1879, single, Harvestman.
    Depart Liverpool 6 Aug 1902 on "Lake Megantic" to Quebec.

Fredk Bradley c1880, single, age 26, a Painter.
    Depart Liverpool 12 July 1906 on "Canada" to Quebec.

Fred Bradley, single, male, Lab.
    Depart Liverpool 6 Sept 1906 on"Tonian" to Quebec.

.....see, just gets worse, and there are lots of Fred. Bradleys about!

Out of curiosity, do you know when Hannah went to Canada?

Rebecca

Nicolina

thanks Rebecca, that's defintely him on the "Canada"and Ellen's birth fits with the marriage I found. I've no idea about Hannah, I cannot find her on any other Census. The marriage record I found gives her parents as Joseph WOOD and Mary but I also found a possible birth for her March 1887 with just her mother's name as Mary WOOD. Another case of a made up father? Also FreeBMD seems to give her name as Hannah Sandback (sic) (Sandbach on FMP) WOOD.
    Frederick & Hannah's second child was born in the UK, Sept. qtr. 1910, so Frederick didn't stay in Canada for long.

pippycat

Curious Hannah being given 'Sandbach' for a middle name, when you consider she is supposedly born Middlewich, only 5 miles from the place of the same name.

This might be a bit late, but its the closest I've come to Hannah going off to Canada:

Hannah Wood, age 20, single, English. "going to be married"
    Arrived Quebec 18 October 1907 on "Virginian"
    thats it, no more info.

I'm looking for their return journey to UK, and also bearing in mind they could have come back separately.
    It's safe to assume the date would be after Ellen born November 1908 to April 1911 when the census was taken ....not that it matters, I still can't spot them yet!

Might have a break from 'passengers' and see if I can find anything about Hannah - I'll go back to travel later ok?
    .....unless somebody else finds the Bradley's in the meantime

Rebecca

Famous for offering help & advice

Do you have Hannah on the 1901 census?
    This looks like her in the household of Thomas and Fanny ASHMORE in Runcorn, Cheshire
    RG13/3336/56/29
    Hannah WOOD, age 14, born Middlewich, niece.

Frances WOOD married Thomas ASHMORE Dec 1874 at St. Michael & All Angels, Middlewich. Banns notice is on family search. Father of Thomas was Joseph !

The baptism of Hannah in 1887 in Middlewich states only the mother, Mary.

Fanny/Frances WOOD can be found with her parents George and Hannah WOOD in 1861.
    Mary is only on the 1881 census, age 17, with George and Hannah. She is not with them in 1871 when she would have been 7. Only Cyrus, a son is at home. Perhaps she was inadvertently left off by the enumerator.!!
    If you want all details I can post them later.

Nicolina

thanks for the input. I wonder why they would go all the way to Canada to get married. That's weird!!!
    Thanks, Mona. I had found that Census record but put it on the back burner because I couldn't find a marriage between Thomas Ashmore and a Fanny. Silly me for not thinking to check for Frances.

Nicolina

another clue. In 1911 there was a Fred WOOD, born abt. 1889, living with Thomas ASHMORE.

pippycat

..and boarding with the Ashmore's in 1891 was Harry Woods, c1847, Cotton, Cheshire. (married no wife present)

pippycat

Elaine

Sorry, but I have to give in and say I just cannot find Frederick Bradley and his family on a return journey to UK...considering its such a small timeframe you'd think they would be easy to spot but maybe they just aren't listed.

I did notice that Fred and Hannah's marriage entry has no date, of either the marriage or the registration.
    Marriages are 3 to a page and in the correct sequence, being stamped with a number.
    The last marriage was 26 Aug 1907 and the one after Fred and Hannah is 22 Oct 1907 - so they wed sometime between those two dates.

Also Hannah's place of residence was England, which has been crossed through and replaced with Georgetown in a different pen and handwriting. I wonder if this could mean Hannah very newly arrived in Canada (the 18 Oct 1907 journey) and thats the reason England was originally entered as her residence?
    Time to be married before 22nd Oct entry.

Assuming this could be correct, Hannah followed Frederick to Canada so they must have know each other before he went.
    Maybe they planned a new life in Canada but it didn't work out ....and they got back here somehow!!

Moving on to Mary Wood.

I thought same as Mona and parents of Mary are George and Hannah Wood - she is with them in 1881.
    (Mary Wood 1864 Kinderton. Employed in a milk factory)

I think this is Mary in 1871: 3678 f102 p12
    Henbury, Cheshire

as transcribed:
    Enock Eller 1844. Mollon, Chesh. Ag lab.
    wife: Emma 1843. Cotton, Chesh.
    dau: Ann 1864. Middlewich.
    dau: Martha 1867. Yatchouse, Chesh.
    son: Amos 1869. Yatchouse.
    son: George 14 days old. Henbury.
    sister in law: Mary Wood 1863. Binderton, Chesh.

Emma Wood married Enoch Ollier June Q 1865. Northwich. 8a 292.

There are so many census linking George and Hannah's children to each other, I won't list them all until you let me know you either want or need them, but the following is a list of their baps.

Enoch Wood 1 May 1842 Church Hulme
    Emma Wood 6 Aug 1843 Church Hulme
    Peter Wood 3 Aug 1845 Church Hulme
    Henry Wood 5 Sept 1847 Church Hulme
    Annie Elizabeth Wood 2 June 1850 Church Hulme
    Fanny Wood 31 Dec 1856 Middlewich
    Cyrus Wood 1 Sept 1858 Middlewich
    Mary Wood 8 June 1864 Middlewich

Considering the 6 year gap between Annie Elizabeth and Fanny, plus the change of area you might think 2 different families but there are links with Fanny (Wood) Ashmore living with some of her siblings:

1881: 3528 f88 p18 Peter, wid plus his daughter living with Fanny and Thomas Ashmore.

1891: 2833 f27 p4 Harry/Henry lodging with Ashmore family.

1911: Fred Woods c1889 living with Ashmore family - I think he is the son of Peter.
    (1901 census: 3336 f56 p30: Peter, wife Agnes and Fred Woods)

I really don't know about the name of Joseph as a father for Hannah.
    I can't find a Mary Wood and Joseph Wood marriage, the nearest marriage for a Mary Wood, with a father George, is to John Fletcher 2 Dec 1886. Crowton, Cheshire.

Hannah Wood is awol in 1891 as yet.

I also have info on Frederick Bradley and his family, but information overload, so one bit at a time!

Rebecca

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast