kath

Unhappy a Russian Parish?

Good evening

Does anyone know why an english clergyman would be in Russia sometime in the early 1900s.The date is 1891? I have a photo of a great uncle in clergymans clothes. It is mounted on a board with russian writing. It has St. Petersbourg , what looks like the name of the photographer and the date 1891. This could be the year it was established. It also says about a grand aprix at the universel exhibition of 1900 in Paris.
    I have yet to establish which denomination my great uncle was. No luck so far with finding him.

Regards

Kath

Andrew Sellon

Kath -

Just guesses.

1/. He was attached to a ship of the RN that was visiting St. Petersbourgh. (One of the "Church Navigant" as Sydney Smith described them).

2/. He was a minister of the local "English Church". There were such churches in the major European cities of the time, St. Petersburgh could well be included amongst these.

There was a city in Russia called Hughesovska - where a man with the surname Hughes started a steelworks and hundreds of people from South Wales went there to work in the steelworks so they would have had vicars with them too - perhaps there was more than one British colony in Russia. Hughesovska is acalled something beginning with D now, I'll look it up in my FHS Journal
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

kath

Smile russian parish

Hi everyone

Thanks for your ideas. I'll try to follow them up. I get the feeling that he may have been a nonconformist minister.He was called GEORGE WILLIAM CLARKE and I know that in 1991 he was living with his parents in Ashton under lyne and was a scavenger in a cotton mill. he was 16 years old. He may have incorporated his mothers maiden name of PACKWOOD in his name. Now, knowing what little I do about clergymen it seems unlikely that he went to train in the Anglican or Roman Catholic faith. Its the time factor for the training. I wondered if he went with a mission.
    Anyway thanks for your thoughts

Kath