Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    dylan thermos

Default Newbie Info Wanted?

Hi, I'm New Here.
    I'm very interested in establishing my family tree as best I can.
    I have been looking back for a few months now and I have had great pleasure in finding out various pieces of information.
    One of my ancestors (Charles Alfred Chriswick b.1866) was a mariner who sailed on the ship the SS. Ravenna.
    He was trying to board his ship at Gdansk in Poland on November 8th. 1893 when he fell from the jetty and drowned in the River Vistula Lagoon.( I assume he was drunk)
    He was 27 years old and left a wife and two year old daughter (My wife's great great grandmother).
    This happened when this part of Poland was under Prussian rule (It was called Dantsig then).
    My wife and I would love to know where his remains are and or if his body was recovered at all?
    The SS. Ravenna was a P and O Liner which had a strange life.
    It was involved in a collision with a Japanese war ship which it sank in a freak accident. The Ravenna cut the Japanese ship in two and 90 souls were lost. To have survived this collision and then to have lost his life in such a tragic manner was indeed a waste.
    I have contacted Lloyd of London and they gave me a reference CLC/B/148/B/004/MS14932/052 I don't know if we have to travel to see this record or if I can access it on line. It will probably state what I have just said about him falling from the jetty.
    If anyone can help me find his last resting place I would be eternally grateful.Thanks Dylan Thermos.

Hi! Welcome to B-G

I couldn't find any mention in the Gale Group 19th century newspapers (that was just looking under Chriswick) but probably your best bet would be https://www.
    piasa.org/archivesinpoland/gdansk.html

There is always the possibility, of course, that he was buried at sea once the ship sailed again. I guess you could only find this out if the ship's log for the Ravenna survives. Have a look at
    https://www.
    poheritage.com/our-archive/research-guides/crew/po-archives-at-national-maritime-museum
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

dylan thermos

Thank you Sue Mackay for being so prompt.
    The first web site you suggest would be excellent except for the fact that is in Polish. I can't see a flag there for translation so I might have to copy the whole page and translate it another way.
    It does look like I might be able to glean some worthwhile info from there though.
    The P and O site I have visited before and I'm still trying to navigate the site. Some of these sites do not make things easy at all.
    Will try searching there first, thanks for the kind info........dylan.....By the way I'm in Swansea not far away.

Quote Originally Posted by dylan thermos View Post
    The first web site you suggest would be excellent except for the fact that is in Polish.
    Strange. It comes up in English on my computer!
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hello & Welcome

Have you a copy of Charles A CHRISWICK death certificate. This will give you the cause of death.

It can be obtained from www.gro.gov.uk
    GRO Marine Death Indices (1846 to 19

CHRISWICK, Charles Alfred
    Vessel : Ravenna
    Year: 1893
    Page: 517
    Age at death: 27
    GRO Marine Death Indices (1846 to 19

Marine BMD
    Name:CHRISWICK, Charles Alfred
    Date of death:8 November 1893
    Employment: Fireman RV2797
    Address: 258 Carmarthen Road Swansea
    Place of death:River Vistula Lokan Near Dantzing
    Accidently drowned ( fell from the jetty while coming on board)
    Place of birth:Birmingham
    Ship's name:Ravenna
    Series:BT334 - Registers and Indexes of Births, Marriages and Deaths of Passengers and Seamen at Sea
    Box:0008
    Page:6

There is also a copy of his marriage certificate 1890 in the Parish records section

and a Charles A CHRISWICK died aged 1 in Oct - NOv 1895 Swansea vol 11A Page no: 526

Thes can be viewed on FMP

See this link for the give away deal on FMP expires SOON!

https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...-Credits/page2
    Last edited by geneius; 16-01-2013 at 11:57 PM. Reason: link

dylan thermos

The first page is English but once you navigate away from there it goes to Polish?....... I don't think me using a Mac would make any difference?.....:-)

dylan thermos

Hi Geneius, Thank you for your help. You people on this site don't mess around you work so quickly I am amazed?
    I knew most of what you posted but the birth and death of the baby Charles A Chriswick aged one in 1895 was new to me.
    I'm trying to work out the dates? His wife must have had this child by another man? It is too long in between his death and the birth of the new baby?
    The plot thickens. As you say I will have to bite the bullet and pay for his death certificate to find his last resting place?
    Trouble is they all add up and it can end up costing a small fortune?.......Anyway, many thanks for your very generous help.....:-)

Coromandel

I have contacted Lloyd of London and they gave me a reference CLC/B/148/B/004/MS14932/052
    I don't know if we have to travel to see this record or if I can access it on line. It will probably state what I have just said about him falling from the jetty.
    From what I can gather, MS 14932 refers to Lloyd's 'Loss and Casualty Books' which are kept at the Guildhall Library, except for the one covering the Titanic. There is a brief description of the records here:

https://www.
    aim25.ac.uk/cgi-bin/vcdf/detail?coll_id=18694&inst_id=118&nv1=search&nv2=

I have no idea how much information you can expect to find in these registers, sorry.

dylan thermos

Hi Coromandel, Thanks for looking for me. I tried the link you posted but could not gain access to it. The loss and casualty book will probably tell me what I already know. (how he died)
    Thank you for taking time.......dylan

Coromandel

I tried the link you posted but could not gain access to it.
    You will need to join up the two lines of the website address and then paste it into your browser.

Or search Google for "lloyd's of london" "aim25".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast