laura_p1983

Default Workhouse Records

Hello,

I have been struggling for some time to locate my 2 x great grandfather Francis / Frank Powell after the 1901 census (RG13; Piece: 30; Folio: 90; Page: 78). His wife Elizabeth dies in 1908 & he is dead by the time my his son Alfred gets marries in 1925. I have searched a number of death records without success.

I have found a possible Francis Powell in the Paddington workhouse in 1911, his occupation is a house builders laborer which fits with previous occupations of house builder / general laborer / painter that he has used on past census / marriage records. And his age & place of birth is also correct and it would be the local workhouse for where he has lived.

I have also found a death for this individual in the Paddington Workhouse, in 1915 and ordered the certificate in the hope that it may confirm that this was / wasn't my ancestor. The information on it wasn't helpful and did not provide any other evidence as to who this Francis was and if we were related e.g. reported by workhouse employee etc.

I have thought about the admission / discharge registers for the workhouse may provide some information as to where he came from, but the records in the LMA do not cover this period.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to how I can prove / disprove that this Francis is or is not my relative? Or where I could locate the admin / discharge registers for this period?

Many thanks

Laura

Reputation beyond repute

Or where I could locate the admin / discharge registers for this period?
    Have you checked both the LMA Catalogue (not just the online stuff) and the Hospital Records Database?

If what you want isn't there, they probably haven't survived.

https://www.parishchest.com/manuals_o...khouse__P90910

laura_p1983

Thanks for the suggestion but I have checked both of these

Unfortunately, the LMA catalogue says that they only have the admin & discharge registers up until March 1892 & the St. Marys Hospital records cover from 1917 onwards....

malcolm99

I’ve been trying to follow your Francis back through censuses etc to his birth and to me it appears to be the one registered in Marylebone in June Quarter 1855.

If that’s right then the 1915 Death Certificate which gives his age as 58 would make him born about 1857. This could make him the Francis Powell whose birth was registered in June 1858 in Marylebone and who appears to be the son of Joseph & Annie Powell – see 1861 Census RG9/71 fol. 25 p.46.

My preference (if I’ve got the censuses right!) is for the Francis who was born in 1855 and who appears to be the son of Henry & Elizabeth – see 1861 Census RG9/87 fol. 56 p.24.

If this is the right one then I think you ought to check the death of Francis Powell in Kensington RD March Quarter 1910 (vol.1A p.104) who was 56 when he died which would make him born c1854.

Is this anywhere near the mark?

NB: The other censuses I used were:>
    1901 - RG13/30 fol. 90 p. 78
    1891 - RG12/28 fol. 74 p. 44
    1881 - RG11/39 fol. 48 p.43
    Last edited by malcolm99; 15-01-2013 at 7:29 PM. Reason: added census refs

laura_p1983

Thanks for this.

Francis was born on the 11 May 1855, Son of Henry Powell & Elizabeth Arlett
    1861 - he was living with his parents in Marylebone (RG9; Piece: 87; Folio: 56; Page: 24)
    1871 - cannot locate
    1881 - living with his parents in Kensington (RG11; Piece: 39; Folio: 48; Page: 43)
    14 May 1883 - Marriage to Elizabeth Treeby - Hanwell Church
    1891 - Living with wife, 2 sons & daughter in Kensington (RG12; Piece: 28; Folio 74; Page 44)
    1894 - Son Alfred Born - living at 412 Portobello Road, Kensington Town, London
    1901 - living with wife, 3 sons & 2 daughters in kensington (RG13; Piece: 30; Folio: 90; Page: 78)
    1908 - Wife Elizabeth dies

I have unfortunately already tried the death of Francis Powell in Kensington RD March Quarter 1910 (vol.1A p.104) - and it is not him, occupation & person who reported the death was not correct :-(

Thanks for the suggestion though

malcolm99

That’s interesting because that was the census trail I found independently (I forgot to mention I had the 1861 census as well).

It seems to me then (although I’m very far from being infallible !!), that the most likely alternative to the 1910 Francis Powell is the one that you’ve found in 1911 and 1915. The way you describe him seems to push all the right buttons for his being the Francis born in 1855.

It’s a shame that the workhouse records aren’t complete (the Religious Creed records might have been particularly useful), but I think you have all the information you’re likely to ever obtain and so you’ll have to make a leap of faith as to whether or not it is him – as I say, I’m strongly inclined to think that it is.

BTW I also came across 2 other baptisms which I’m sure you’ve come across but which I’ll list just in case. Oddly the ages don’t agree with the 1891 census but they do look like your Frank’s children:

George Francis baptised 13 April 1884 at Christ Church, Notting Hill. Parents Frank and Elizabeth Powell of 60 Wornington Road. Father’s occupation – Decorator. Born 23rd March 1884.

Joseph James baptised 25 April 1886 at Christ Church, Notting Hill. Parents Francis and Elizabeth Powell of 136 Southam Street. Father’s occupation – Decorator. Born 5th February 1886.

laura_p1983

Thank you - I suspect this may be the case but it is a shame that it can't be proved one way or the other.

Thanks for the Baptisms - I have these.