Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TEN POUND POMS

overbrae

Question TEN POUND POMS

Uncle and famliy departed london to sydney 1950-1951 how do you find out where they ended up would
    there be any records at all
    THIS IS A SHOT IN THE DARK
    THANK YOU

terrysfamily

Have a look here. I know my Aunty and Uncle migrated in the 60's under the £10 scheme and they are on the wall.

https://welcomewall.anmm.gov.au/

I'll edit this as I can no longer find them on the wall. Don't know what's happened there!

Annamarie

Try the National Archives of Australia www.naa.gov.au for migration records. Ancestry also has Electoral records for some states. Perhaps posting their name might help.

Unfortunately not everyone's name is on the wall. As a 10 pound Pom arriving in 1954 and living in one of the eastern states I wasn't aware of the project. Also I believe their was a cost so that may have deterred some people from applying.

terrysfamily

Sorry mine went to Western Australia. Western Australia have their own wall

https://www.museum.wa.gov.au/welcomewalls/

Sandra Parker

We were Ten Pound Poms in 1949 and our records are at Auistraliam National Archives.
    Sandra

Kwozzi

Does anyone happen to have accessed the 1959 sailing from Southampton to Melbourne Australia of the Fairsea. It is absolutely hopeslessly ridiculous trying to get past finding that the ship is there but try getting anything else and you will be hours.
    My husband requires the date the Fairsea arrived in Melbourne October 1959 to complete some paperwork here in Australia.
    Many thanks if you can help.

PS I did find this many years ago and it was dead easy then so now why is it complicated? Unfortunately we did not keep the info, found it by experimenting searching on the computer at that time.

Annamarie

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzi View Post
    Does anyone happen to have accessed the 1959 sailing from Southampton to Melbourne Australia of the Fairsea. It is absolutely hopeslessly ridiculous trying to get past finding that the ship is there but try getting anything else and you will be hours.
    My husband requires the date the Fairsea arrived in Melbourne October 1959 to complete some paperwork here in Australia.
    Many thanks if you can help.

PS I did find this many years ago and it was dead easy then so now why is it complicated? Unfortunately we did not keep the info, found it by experimenting searching on the computer at that time.
    I was in a similar position. I needed the information to apply for Permanent Residency. I contacted the National Archives of Australia. As a result I received a certified copy of the passenger list of the ship I arrived on.. I was able to use this as evidence for my application.

I can't find an arrival in October. The Fairsea arrived on the 29 th July 1959 in Melbourne.
    https://www.blaxland.com/ozships/year/arrive/s134.htm

malcolm99

Funnily enough there appears to be the schedule for an arrival in October on this page
    https://museumvictoria.
    com.au/collections/items/286910/leaflet-mv-fairsea-passage-rates-southbound-1959

The schedule is the second frame below the main image. Unfortunately it's not very clear but if you increase the size of the image it looks like 5th October. Not official proof though!

Annamarie

Quote Originally Posted by overbrae View Post
    Uncle and famliy departed london to sydney 1950-1951 how do you find out where they ended up would
    there be any records at all
    THIS IS A SHOT IN THE DARK
    THANK YOU
    Just noticed Ancestry have published Outward Passenger lists 1890 to 1960. This should help you narrow the search - ship name etc.

Kwozzi

Thank you Annamarie and strangely enough my husband found the entry of his family but no date of arrival but he has since requested a copy. To hurry things up he will attempt phoning tomorrow. He does know that they sailed on the 6th September ex Southampton and you would think the date of arrival would also be listed but not so!
    Many thanks for your assistance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast