Mike Hawkins

Question 1841 look-up Wilshaw & Allsop

Helllo Lancastrians,
    I'm looking for 1841 census information on two ancestors.
    First up is John Wilshaw (?shoemaker), probably resident in Manchester. Has son by name of James Wilshaw (born 1819, Manchester).
    Second one is John Alsop (Allsop), publican, possibly resident in Liverpool (or maybe Manchester). He has a daughter named Susannah (born 1820, Liverpool).
    Can anybody help,
    Cheers,
    Mike

uksearch

Do you any idea of when John WILSHAW was born and do you know if he was born in the county?

UK

Mike Hawkins

Dear UKsearch,
    Unfortunately not - on both count. I guess he was born 1790 - 1800 but whether in county or out I don't know. A lot of Wilshaws seem to originate in Staffordshire although in the 1861 census one of his possible grand-daughters is employed as a servant on the farm of a John Wilshaw (born in Westmorland) in Bentham in Yorkshire!
    All I know for sure is that his son James (a book-keeper) was born in Manchester.
    Does any of this help?
    Cheers,
    Mike

uksearch

I have had a look for your older Johns in the Trade Directories for Manchester & Salford 1841,1843 & 1851.I could not find them and therefore had no addresses to check on the 1841 Census.I'll look for James in the TDs.

UK

Mike Hawkins

Hello UKsearch,
    Seeing as John Wilshaw and John Alsop/Allsop are somewhat elusive could you check the 1841 census for their offspring James Wilshaw and Susannah Alsop/Allsop who were both living in Hollinwood at the time.
    Cheers,
    Mike

uksearch

The Census for Hollinwood are not here at MCL.It probably comes under the Oldham area.I MAY know someone with access to it.I will let you know when I know one way of the other.

UK

davidabbot

Default allsops

have you tried looking for the information on ancestry.com
    if you go to the public libirary you can get free acsess to the libirary edition of ancestry.co.uk. Dont know if you can get acsess out side of the uk.
    look at members trees and storys. have you tryd typing in the name to a search engine to see what comes up.

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

The original post is from 2005

Mike, did you ever find these 1841 census entries?
    ChristineR