Mutley

Default Assigning a UK IP address to your PC?

The UK is changing to a new Satellite (Astra 2F) and Europe might not receive British television channels from early 2013. We may only be able to watch television via the internet (if we are lucky enough to have a good broadband connection). I have been told, in order to do this, I need to have a UK IP address.

I've also been told that it is possible to assign a UK IP address to your computer when living abroad.
    A free download from a site called expat shield and various other companies free or at a cost have been mentioned as able to do this. Though I love freebies I am loathe to download something to my PC without recommendation. If I have to pay, then so be it, rather that than downloading a nasty.

Has anyone experience of using these programs?

mally1313

yes you need a prog called hide my ip gives you lots of ip from round the world

Reputation beyond repute

Use for favourite search engine (eg DuckDuckGo.com) with a search term of VPN UK

Reputation beyond repute

Have a look at this site (usually accurate and up-to-date, I'm told)...

https://www.
    lyngsat.com/Astra-2F.html

I'm certainly no expert but Astra 2F appears to be actually working now. So if you can currently receive any of the channels listed, you should be OK in the future.

I think Astra 1F is still testing so you would have to tune in manually. What I mean is don't just choose BBC1 (or whatever) in the usual way. Find out how to manually tune on your receiver and enter the frequency and other parameters.

Mutley

Thank you Peter, I did a search and there are several. Just hoping someone may have experience of using a particular one. I rather like the sound of HideMyAss.

It is all a bit technical for me really. I know we lost Channel 5 back in December and the rumours are that we will lose the rest by Easter. Some of us have a Sky sub and others only free view but either way if the beam don't reach us, it looks like the internet may be our only choice. And that is providing, it is not raining.
    Last edited by Mutley; 13-01-2013 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Added a bit