Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Timmonthamdoug

Post Herbert Maurice Douglas

I am right at the beginning of searching my ancestry. All I know is that my grandfather was called Herbert Maurice Douglas. I know he was born in India. I would like to know when and where. I am hoping this will lead me to the ñames of his parents. Any idea how I go about this?
    Cheers.
    Tim

Coromandel

Hello Tim and welcome to the forum

Clutching at straws, really, I tried looking for Herbert on UK censuses. Could this be him? ...

A 26 year old Herbert Maurice Douglas, unmarried, born India, Kasauli, is shown as a boarder in the household of Mrs Jane Hewitt at 42 Dunchurch Road, Rugby, on the 1911 census.

Most unusually, Mrs Hewitt (who appears to have filled in and signed the form) is shown as the head of the household even though her husband (Thomas, a blacksmith, not working) was also there.

Herbert's occupation is shown as 'Electrical Engineer Pupil'.

The census reference is RG 14/18598, schedule no. 117.

Going back 10 years to the 1901 census, there is a 15 year old Herbert M. Douglas (born India Kussowlee) boarding at 1 Glebe Road, Bedford. I assume he is at the grammar school, as the head of the household (Harrold J. St John Sanderson) is shown as 'Grammar School Master'.
    The reference for this one is RG 13/1488, folio 159, page 18.

Does any of this fit with what you know of your father (age, occupation, etc.)?

Brick wall demolition expert!

The British Library has the records from Colonial India:

https://www.
    bl.uk/reshelp/findhelpregion/asia/india/indiaofficerecordsfamilyhistory/familyresearch.html

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    Oops, sorry: I meant grandfather.

Earlier when I was at the library I started typing a reply based on a UK incoming passenger list on Ancestry. Unfortunately my time online ran out before I could post the details. Now I am at home again and Ancestryless. Here is what I recollect:

Herbert M. Douglas, a farmer, fortysomething (it gave his actual age but I forget)
    Violet Douglas, h(ouse) wife,
    a girl P..... aged 12
    a boy J......E. aged 8

were on a ship that arrived in Southampton from Cape Town in December of a year I don't remember (early 1930s I think). Their proposed address in the UK was in Bedford (Clapham Road?). Their country of last permanent residence was South Africa I think.

I have forgotten the ship's name, sorry. The children's first names are given in full but I am not giving them here in case they are still alive.

The Bedford connection is interesting given that the 1901 census mentioned in post #2. However, it may be quite coincidental.

Coromandel

Going back 10 years to the 1901 census, there is a 15 year old Herbert M. Douglas (born India Kussowlee) boarding at 1 Glebe Road, Bedford. I assume he is at the grammar school, as the head of the household (Harrold J. St John Sanderson) is shown as 'Grammar School Master'.
    Kelly's 1903 directory of Beds/Hunts/Northants (which you can see on the 'Historical Directories' website) has a long entry relating to Bedford Grammar School. H.K. St. J. Sanderson, M.A., is on a list of assistant masters there. Perhaps the place in Glebe Road was a boarding house for the school? However, I cannot see H. Sanderson or Glebe Road on the list of the school's boarding-houses and their masters.

malcolm99

Here is what I recollect:

Herbert M. Douglas, a farmer, fortysomething (it gave his actual age but I forget)
    Violet Douglas, h(ouse) wife,
    a girl P..... aged 12
    a boy J......E. aged 8

were on a ship that arrived in Southampton from Cape Town in December of a year I don't remember (early 1930s I think). Their proposed address in the UK was in Bedford (Clapham Road?). Their country of last permanent residence was South Africa I think.
    Tim - just doing some housekeeping for Coromandel.

The entry, using Coromandel's wording, reads>

Herbert M. Douglas, a farmer, aged 47
    Violet Douglas, h(ouse) wife, aged 43
    Miss P...... Douglas, scholar, aged 12
    J...... E., scholar, aged 8
    were on the ship SS Ceramic that arrived in Southampton from Cape Town on 15th December 1932. Their proposed address in the UK was 46 Clapham Road, Bedford. Their country of last permanent residence was South Africa.

Coromandel

Default Bedford School

The old boys' association, the Old Bedfordians Club, was established in 1891 according to the school's website. There seems to be a database of old boys on the site, but it looks like you need to register before you can search. You don't have to be an Old Bedfordian in order to register.

You could also try e-mailing the school to see if they have any archives from the period in question.

See 'OB Club' and 'Contact Us' tabs here:

bedfordschool.org.uk

P.S. thank you, malcolm99, for filling in the gaps in my memory about the SS 'Ceramic'.

Coromandel

Default Possible First World War service

A Herbert Maurice Douglas was made a temporary Second Lieutenant in the Royal Field Artillery as of 16 November 1914, according to the 'London Gazette' of 17 November 1914:

london-gazette.co.uk/issues/28977/pages/9410/page.pdf

Another announcement, this time from the 'London Gazette' of 18 March 1915, says 2nd Lieut H.M. Douglas is to be temporary Lieutenant from 19 March 1915 (the previous page has the heading 'Royal Horse and Field Artillery')

If you search the 'London Gazette' more thoroughly than I did you may also find a further promotion as the National Archives have a file on Major Herbert Maurice Douglas of the Royal Field Artillery. It hasn't been digitised. However, you could ask for a quote for copying the document:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...s?uri=C1072496

Timmonthamdoug

Smile Herbert douglas!

Wow, this is him!
    As a child, I remember a photo of him in hillmorton road, rugby, studying as engineer.
    Thanks so much for your help.
    Now the journey beginning.

Hello Tim and welcome to the forum

Clutching at straws, really, I tried looking for Herbert on UK censuses. Could this be him? ...

A 26 year old Herbert Maurice Douglas, unmarried, born India, Kasauli, is shown as a boarder in the household of Mrs Jane Hewitt at 42 Dunchurch Road, Rugby, on the 1911 census.

Most unusually, Mrs Hewitt (who appears to have filled in and signed the form) is shown as the head of the household even though her husband (Thomas, a blacksmith, not working) was also there.

Herbert's occupation is shown as 'Electrical Engineer Pupil'.

The census reference is RG 14/18598, schedule no. 117.

The reference for this one is RG 13/1488, folio 159, page 18.

Timmonthamdoug

Yes, It is a school boarding House called Burnaby and is part of bedford school. Thanks.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast