Titanicfan

Question Portsea Island Marriage - Help Needed Please

Hi all, I have found a marriage entry for my ancestor from FreeBMD:

Charlotte Rosa FRANKLIN
    Sep Qtr 1895
    Portsea District

However, I have tried to locate this marriage via the Marriage Locator website, searched the IGI, FMP, FreeREG etc. and I can't find any more details about this marriage which I hoped to find out other than by ordering a cert. (I can't afford to at the moment) and I have some free credits on FMP to use before they end and hoped to further my research into this ancestor.

Does anyone know where else I could find parish marriage register entries transcribed for Portsea District? I had a quick look on Portsmouth Family History Centre website but I think they charge £12 for half hour research also. I live in Middlesex so I am nowhere near the record offices covered.

Any info. would be helpful.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Unfortunately the index does not tell you whether it was a religious or civil marriage. By 1895 many marriages were civil ones, and if that is the case then you will need the certificate.

You don't mention her husband's name. In the marriage index you can see that there are 2 possibles: Thomas Peacock or Alfred Theasby. The other bride on the page is Bessie Dillon. I can find an Alfred and Bessie Theasby in the 1901 Census, living in Portsmouth, so although I have not found Charlotte in the 1901 Census I would put money (not a lot) on her husband being Thomas Peacock.

Nicolina

to help with searches Charlotte Rosa's birth was registered December 1871 in Southampton district BUT, although it is a couple of years out, there is a death registration:
    Mar 1896
    Peacock Charlotte Rosa Portsea 2b 347 aged 22.

malcolm99

The GRO indexes give the option of Charlotte marrying Thomas Peacock or Alfred Theasby. The other potential bride is Bessie Dillon.

In the 1901 Census an Alfred & Bessie Theasby are living in Purbrook Road, Portsmouth: RG 13 Piece 985 fol. 82 p.20

Charlotte’s birth was registered in Southampton RD in December Quarter 1871. The death of a Charlotte Rosa Peacock was registered in Portsea Island RD in March Quarter 1896. As she was only 22 I think this probably points to Charlotte having married Thomas Peacock in 1895.

I see Nicolina's beaten me to it!

Titanicfan

Thanks to everyone who searched for me. Just after I posted the enquiry on Brit-Gen I searched on FreeBMD for a poss. remarriage as I could not find her in 1901 census and unfortunately I searched on death instead by mistake and sadly found the death entry.