Starting to feel at home

Default Dixon (and Variations) in Warwickshire - 1800

Hi List,

Happy New Year!

Am looking for any information about the DIXON family (also known as DICKSON, DICKENSON, DICKINSON, etc.) in Warwickshire.

I have a Charles DIXON b1808 in Coventry, bap 2Nov1808 St Michael's Coventry as son of Charles DIXON bc1775 also in Coventry and Catherine HUGHES (m c1805 Coventry).

Charles 1808 m Harriet (aka Harriot, Hariett, etc.) Mary TOWNSEND 11Jun1830.

Charles and Harriet had 5 children (as far as I have found!):
    • Ann Elizabeth Dixon (1832)
    • a Son Dixon (1833) - the register has been burn damaged and the name is unavailable!
    • Elizabeth Townsend Dixon (between Ann and "a Son" - maybe a twin)
    • Charles Matthew Dixon (1835)
    • Henry Miller Dixon (1837)

Harriet Mary is shown in Census data as living with Emanuel Miller, a possible father to Henry Miller Dixon!

My research point is to determine Henry Miller Dixon's biological father and what happened to Charles Dixon.

Charles' ancestry includes spellings DICKERSON, DICKENSON, DICKSON, DICKASON, DICKISSON, and DICKINSON.

Any information gratefully accepted!

Megan in Sydney

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Worth a look for you on Familysearch.org as several children are listed to a Charles & Harriet or Harriet Mary.Along with this baptism of a Henry: (doubled up)

Henry Miller Dixon
    England, Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
    christening-11 Jan 1837
    SAINT MICHAEL,COVENTRY,WARWICK,ENGLAND
    parents Charles Dixon, Harriet

Henry Dixon
    England, Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
    birth-20 Jul 1838
    christening-20 Aug 1838
    SAINT PHILLIPS,BIRMINGHAM,WARWICK,ENGLAND
    parent Charles Dixon, Harriet
    batch) number:C04179-8

Henry Miller Dixon
    christening 11 Jan 1837
    SAINT MICHAEL,COVENTRY,WARWICK,ENGLAND
    parent Charles Dixon, Harriet
    birth -20 Jul 1838 christening-20 Aug 1838
    SAINT PHILLIPS,BIRMINGHAM,WARWICK,ENGLAND
    parent-Charles Dixon, Harriet
    (batch) number-C04179-8

indexing project (batch) numberC02141-3 also.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Starting to feel at home

Default Dixon (and Variations) in Warwickshire - 180

Quote Originally Posted by Waitabit View Post
    Worth a look for you on Familysearch.org as several children are listed to a Charles & Harriet or Harriet Mary.Along with this baptism of a Henry: (doubled up)

<snipped>.
    Hi Wendy - yes, I have all that information, which I believe I have included in my original post (somewhat edited!)...

My question is being put to see if any other information is had by other researchers other than the Birth/Baptism from St Michael's and the UK Censuses.

Charles Dixon is the puzzle - what happened to him to allow Emanuel Miller "access" to the family? There are another 5 children associated with Harriet & Emanuel!

Harriet had 10 children in all. Charles could NOT have been there while Emanuel was cuckolding him! If he WAS there - what was going on???

Did Charles end up in prison? Was Charles the fellow shown in the Coventry Poor Law Union Workhouse on the 1881 Census?

All valid questions that I hope others can assist me with!

Megan in Sydney

pippycat

Megan

Unless you have other info that sheds light on things, purely going by the census re: Harriet and Emmanuel, I don't see anything untoward going on.
    The only problem is Charles senior going awol - but he must have been around at certain times to father children.

I've not touched on Charles yet, been tied up with the son, Charles Matthew.

You may have this info already, but it might help others who are taking an interest.

1841 census: 1152 b7 f16 p25
    Little Park St. Coventry - same address as baps.

Mary Townsend 1791 Ireland. Independent.
    Emmanuel Miller 1811 Weaver. not born in county.
    Harriot Dixon 1811 not born in county.
    Charles Dixon 1835 Warwicks
    Henry Miller 1837 Warwicks
    John Miller 1840 born in county

1851 census: 2068 f323 p22
    St Peter Street?

Mary Townsend 1785 Ireland. Wid. Proprietor of houses.
    grandson: Charles Dixon 1835 Coventry. Apprentice 'something'
    grand/dau: Emma Miller 1842 Coventry
    grand/dau: Jane Miller 1844 Coventry

Im assuming its the correct Charles simply because of his granny being a Townsend.

1861 census: 2208 f99 p3
    St Peter Street

Mary Townsend 1784 Ireland. Prop of houses
    grand/dau: Fanny Miller 1847 Coventry

Is the following the same Fanny Miller with her parents in 1851?

If Fanny is the same person, then to my way of thinking, it puts Emmanuel and Harriet "living together" in 1841 in a different sort of light - both are related to Mary Townsend.

1851 census: 1954 f198 p23
    Lawrence Hill? Bristol

Emmanuel Miller 1810. Publican. No birthplace.
    wife: Harriett 1811 Essex, Leering?
    son: Henry 1837 Newmarket? and what looks like Cambridge.
    son: John 1841 Coventry
    dau: Fanny 1847 Coventry*
    dau: Harriet 1850 Bristol
    servant: Mary Belcher 1836 Bristol.
    Henry Shelter? 1828 Nottingham. occupation?

I could be well wrong of course, but seems that Miller name is possibly a 'family name' rather than anything more suspicious, but its all prayer and guesswork...in the hope its the correct family!

Megan I don't think your Charles was the one in Workhouse in 1881 - it might possibly be this Charles who was:

1861 census: 2201 f28 p18
    Cox Street.

Charles Dixon 1805 Coventry. Ribbon Weaver
    wife Ann 1805 Coventry
    dau: Emma 1842 Coventry

- in 1871 at his same Cox Street address, by himself and a gardener.

Would you know who this family is?

1851 census: 2052 f596 p8
    Piggs Bldg. Bell Barn Rd. Birmingham

Charles Dixon 1811 Warwicks. Whip maker journeyman.
    wife: Harriet 1814 Birmingham
    dau: Jane 1833 B'ham
    dau: Emma 1841 B'ham
    son: Charles 1844 B'ham
    son: William 1849 B'ham

Rebecca

These families have the same names running through them, why do they have to be so awkward!

Starting to feel at home

Thank you for your reply, Rebecca/pippycat!

I have been searching the Censuses for the last 8 years, and it is my considered opinion that Charles Dixon b1808 probably died or was imprisoned c1836. That is the the latest date that can cover Henry Miller Dixon's birth in 1837 (Baptism record St Michael's 11 Jun 1837).

My assumption for Henry is that he was conceived with Emanuel, while Harriet Mary Townsend Dixon was married to Charles, thus allowing Harriet Mary to "save face" in society. Emanuel is shown as "Lodger" to Harriet Mary's mother Mary Townsend in Little Park Street, Coventry.

From 1837 on, Harriet's children are Millers.

Emanuel emigrated to Australia with son John James in/around 1852 from Bristol.

It appears that John James returned to England to accompany Fanny back to Australia (per PERSIA 1862, sponsored by Emanuel).

Sister Harriett Mary Miller had married Robert Sommerville, and they, too, emigrated to Australia.

There is a Jane Ann Miller (per TELEGRAPH 1860) who is shown as Nursemaid, aged 17, arriving in Australia, too.

Emma Barbara married a Robert Grey in Scotland and emigrated to Australia. Robert died, and Emma married Antonio Masciorini in 1869, in Victoria.

Henry's brother Charles Matthew Dixon emigrated to Australia too - the fact of which you already know!

So, back to Charles 1808 - if anyone can find a definitive Death Certificate, it would be great to "kill him off" and throw some light on the liaisons of Harriet Mary Townsend Dixon Miller!

Megan in Sydney

pippycat

Megan

I'll just concentrate on Charles 1808 Dixon....see if I can find anything about him.

Rebecca

Starting to feel at home

Thanks for that, Rebecca - another conundrum to be solved so we can move on to the next one!!!!

Appreciate the help with Charles 1808!!!!

Megan in Sydney