Famous for offering help & advice

Default Died in 1974 - was there a Will?

How do I find out whether someone left a Will in 1974? Everything I've looked at only seems to go up to the '60s.
    If she died without writing a Will, what happened next? (This lady never married, and didn't live near the rest of her family.)

I can't even find a newspaper report of her death.

Ada Margerison (should be Margerrison, but that's how it's spelt on her death certificate). Died 15 July 1974, aged 82 (again a mistake, she was 81) in Penzance, Cornwall.

Jane

sueannbowen

Check out The National Archive here
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...lafter1858.htm.

It will tell you where to look and how to go about it. It is from 1858 to the present day I think.

Reputation beyond repute

Contact your nearest Probate Sub-registry (Bodmin? 01208 261581) and ask if they can help.

Failing that, complete form PA1S and send it to Leeds with your money

https://hmctscourtfinder.justice.gov..../pa01s-eng.pdf

Reputation beyond repute

aged 82 (again a mistake, she was 81)
    You may like to have another look at the certificate. You'll find that the certificate shows her date of birth and not her age. Obviously, her age wouldn't be in the index either.

I'm afraid what you've done is to believe the Ancestry (presumably) transcription. For reasons best known to the company they have calculated an age from the information in the index. This is simply the year of birth subtracted from the year of registration.

This is a tiny example of why genealogists work from original documents and not from indexes and transcriptions!

Reputation beyond repute

By the way, there's some information here about various probate developments including the provision of an official on line probate index.

https://
    researchlondon.info/uncategorized/london-probate-user-meeting-30-may-2012

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    You may like to have another look at the certificate. You'll find that the certificate shows her date of birth and not her age. Obviously, her age wouldn't be in the index either.

I'm afraid what you've done is to believe the Ancestry (presumably) transcription. For reasons best known to the company they have calculated an age from the information in the index. This is simply the year of birth subtracted from the year of registration.

This is a tiny example of why genealogists work from original documents and not from indexes and transcriptions!
    Yes, you are correct Peter. Sorry, I was referring to my online notes (which I don't seem to have updated since receiving the certificate) - that'll teach me!

Jane

Thank you All for the useful info. I now know which way to go ...

Jane