exiled brummie

Talking It Sometimes Pays To Forget Something

At the beginning of last May my wife had a series of TIA's (mini strokes) that left her relying on me as her main carer. This meant that pretty well everything was put on hold until not only had things settled down into an acceptable routine but also while I rebuilt my life and regained not only some time for myself but also the will and desire to to restart leisure activities. This goal was reached just before Christmas thanks to huge help and support from my GP, our NHS PCT and the Alzheimer's Society. Another huge boost was given when my daughter moved to live about 150 yards away.

While all of this going on my subscription with Ancestry came up for renewal but was allowed to lapse. One thing I did do was to forget to delete my family tree.

December 27 saw Ancestry gain a new member, who found my tree and immediately made contact. Her father is the cousin with whom I lost contact when he relocated to Scotland in 1980. My new found 1st cousin once removed has sadly lost contact with her father too but still had masses to tell me.

The time available to me each day is obviously limited but already a fair few e-mails have gone up to Glasgow with certificate images etc to help her build her father's side of our tree.

Jan1954

So sorry to hear about your wife, but not renewing your subscription was a most fortuitous circumstance that led to your cousin making contact with you.

I hope that you widen your family circle and wish all good health and happiness to you and your wife for the coming years.

sueannbowen

So sorry your wife is poorly; what a responsibility for you but I am so glad you have some help and support. Taking a bit of time for you is very important as I am sure you know and the new family discovery is very exciting. Keep on dropping in here; the members are amazing and will keep you on your toes. The whole genealogy thing is perfect if you can only dip in and out - not like some hobbies (obsessions ?) I can think of.

good luck in 2013.

exiled brummie

Thanks for your kind thoughts, it is really kind of you both to respond so quickly. As you will see from Annabel's thread on the newspaper archives, I took a quick look after reading about her lucky find, and struck gold on just one family name, shed loads of it in fact.

Allanah

Good luck with the loving care of your wife. I know what you mean about making time for yourself, I am the sole carer for my 93 year old Mum 24/7 and until July last year also my 91 year old step Father, who passed away, sadly people don't realise just how hard this can be on the carer with no "me" time, my family history is what I call my "Sanity" time.

Best wishes & thoughts are with you and all the other carers out there, which there are many.

Allanah

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I do hope 2013 is the beginning of a better time for you & your Wife & Family Brum, Without my computer & interests there-on I'd be sitting in a corner with the doggies & twitching my bottom lip.

What a lift to have reconnected with a Family line & refreshed memories on both sides. Carry on caring & enjoy what you can where & when.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

exiled brummie

Thanks for your thoughts Allanah and Waitabit. I raised my glass to you last night (Shiraz, from the SE of Oz, where else?).

There are some wonderful people around. My neighbour who lives opposite cares for her husband who is now almost completely immobilised by Meniere's Disease and arthritis. She also helped care for her next door 90 year neighbour while at the same time developing her anything but small front garden to a level that puts the rest of us to shame.

Her neighbour died in November and she immediately said that if help was needed with my wife's care, she had some spare time on her hands!! She has also told my daughter, who is her other neighbour, that if help is ever needed with my 2 grandsons, both profoundly autistic, she only has to ask.

What a woman!!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Indeed, what a WOMAN!!
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.