Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    glendagriffin

Default George Boxall born 1866 Sussex

looking for any info re George Boxall born in Hastings...his wifes name was Annie.
    He had a sister Elizabeth Jane born 1868 in Hastings also in Hastings

Brick wall demolition expert!

I am struggling to find the birth registration for either George or Elizabeth Jane.

There are no records in Sussex for the years that you have identified.

I have also tried to find a George and Elizabeth (Jane) of about the right ages in the 1871 Census without success.

I wonder whether your information comes from the 1881 Census where they do appear together living with their single aunt Elizabeth Boxall at 4, Marine Parade, Hastings St Mary In The Castle?

The next trace that I can find of George is in the 1911 Census when he is living at 6 York Building Hastings with his wife and family and he is an assistant grocer. George has been married for 24 years, and they have had 3 children; 1 of which has died. The family are:
    Name Age
    George Boxall 45
    Annie Boxall 41
    Nellie Boxall 8
    Lucy Boxall 5
    Jane Masson*** 63 (mother)

George Edward Boxall married in Woolwich Qtr Oct 1887 Agnes Eugenia Masson or alternative George Boxall married in Edmonton, Middlesex Qtr Oct 1887 Alice Eugeina Maslen.

These two alternatives are offered because of the name of his "mother" (presumably mother in law) in the 1911 Census. Its difficult to read, and whilst one site has transcribed it as "Susan" another has transcribed it as "Gasson", and so I guessed at "Masson" before I saw the 2nd alternative marriage record.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post

I wonder whether your information comes from the 1881 Census where they do appear together living with their single aunt Elizabeth Boxall at 4, Marine Parade, Hastings St Mary In The Castle?
    Looking back to 1871 finds at RG10/1030 f10 p11
    Elizabeth Boxall
    Jane Hemming neice
    George E Hemming nephew 5 b Hastings
    Elizabeth J Hemming neice 3 b Hastings

There are corresponding births for George & Elizabeth in 1866 & 1868 in Hastings.

Also a marriage of Elizabeth Jane B Hemmings in 1889, Hastings. I will try & find her spouse.

Census care of TNA

What a good spot KathNZ.

I thought I would work backwards and see if I could find the connection between the Boxall and Hemming families.

Ancestry have transcribed the surnames as Bohall and Hemering! Jane Hemming was born about 1849 in Rye Sussex and is old enough to be the mother of George E and Elizabeth J, but only their birth certificates will tell you that for certain.

The birth of a Jane Boxall Hemmings was registered in Rye in Jan Qtr of 1849 Vol Page 514. In 1851 she appears with her mother Martha (b. 1810 Rye) and brother James age 14 a Butcher and her sister Martha aged 3 living at Aylwards Row, Rye. Although her mother is listed as married there is no husband shown.

In the 1861 Census she is listed with her aunt Elizabeth Boxall and living in Hastings. Her mother Martha, now a widow, is living with her daughter Martha, in Rye.

In the 1841 Census there is a Henry Hemming born 1811 Sussex with Martha born 1811 and James born 1837 living in Rye.

There are 2 Henry Hemmings whose deaths were registered in Rye between 1841-1861. Firstly in 1850 and secondly in 1858. Unfortunately at this time the register does not tell you their ages.

It seems likely to me that Martha and Henry married before 1837, and therefore it will be necessary to look for a parish record of the marriage. .

In the 1841 Census there are 2 Elizabeth Boxalls born circa 1824 in Sussex, both in the Midhurst registration district. The first of these was living at Redford P B, Woolbeding, Midhurst:

Name Age Birth Year
    Henry 50 1791
    Ann 50 1791
    Elizabeth 15 1826
    William 13 1828
    Mary 10 1831
    Charlotte 7 1834
    Clarissa 0 (8 months) 1841

And the second was living at Lodsworth Common, Easebourne, Lodsworth
    Name Age Birth Year
    Stephen 60 1781
    Elizabeth 55 1786
    Thomas 15 1826
    Elizabeth 15 1826
    Charles 11 1830
    William 20 1821

There is no way of telling if these families are connected to the Boxalls that you have been looking for, but it would be worth keeping them in mind until you find a marriage record for Henry Hemmings.

glendagriffin

I have found George Boxall and his wife Annie in the 1891 census and it shows them living at 20 Priory Rd. Bradbourne Terrace (Ore)...I dont know is that still Hastings??

Yes, Glenda it seems to be still Hastings.
    I have found some marriages
    George Edward B Hemmings & Annie Mary Weekes 1888 Hastings ( My guess is that the B is for Boxall)
    Elizabeth Jane B Hemmings & (I think) John Griffin 1889 Hastings ditto
    Jane Hemmings & James Henry Gasson 1881 Hastings (This explains the Jane Gasson in 1911)

I have just noticed that the family above George & Annie in 1891 are the Weekes. I wonder if there is a connection?

From A* England & Wales Marriages - Henry Hemmings & Martha Boxall marriage, 4 Aug 1836, Rye

glendagriffin

I find it so confusing with the names...if Janes parents married in 1836(Henry/Martha) why is she Jane still using Boxall...why wouldnt she just be Hemmings?

I doubt that you will every find a piece of evidence that will tell you why, but my guess is that she felt abandoned by the Hemmings / her mother. Also her birth was registered as Jane BOXALL Hemmings.

By 1861, when she was 15, she was living with her Boxall Aunt, even though her mother was still alive and living with Jane's sister.

Jane's sister Martha married John Thomas Baker in the middle of 1870 at Rye, and by the time of the 1871 census she had a 5 month old daughter, suggesting that she was pregnant when she married. In both the 1871 and 1881 censuses the mother Martha Hemmings is living with her daughter Martha Baker, and as she has no occupation listed, its probably a reasonable assumption that she was dependent upon them, and therefore not in a position to help her daughter Jane.

The mother, Martha Hemmings, died in 1887 at Rye.

glendagriffin

I am just slow to sort this but yes the Jane Gasson would be George Boxalls mother Jane(Boxall-Hemmings-Gasson)
    Jane Gasson also had another child Emanuel Gasson born in 1880. She married James Henry Gasson in 1881.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast