Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by daleaway View Post
    advertisement [was} put into Lloyds Evening Post . . . . . . Advertisement put into Lloyds evening newspaper
    Ah yes! I think you've cracked it, Dale.

It is hard to make out the actual spelling . . . possibly 'Put into Lides(?) even Post nowssPapres' the first time and '..sament Put into Loyds Eving nosepaper' the second time . . . but you've made a major breakthrough in understanding the meaning of the letter. Well done.

Wiganexile

line 3 again: Put into Loyds even Put [...nooss](news! LOL*) papers covering the 'hangen or feeliship' (fellowship?) at Stanton Staffordshire

and from Coromandel: 'farms nere the church next Greenwich'

*I've just laughed myself into stitches over my slow interpretation there.

Coromandel

'Lloyd's Evening Post' has been digitised as part of the Burney Collection. Gale Cengage provides access to subscribing institutions: unfortunately this package is much less widely available to the general public than the 19th Century Newspaper collection.

Snippets of search results can be seen via the Connected Histories website (in what they call 'British Newspapers 1600-1900'). I haven't had much luck with it though: I can't seem to narrow down the search to a particular title.

Another avenue of attack might be to try to track down the Chancery records. But that's easier said than done!

Knowledgeable and helpful

Excellent work people! :-)
    Many minds make light work or at least unravel a written mess.
    and a Happy New Year to you all too :-)

martin.chown

Dear Zen Rabbit
    John Stanton was my gr gr grandfather. His son was Leonard Stanton. I'm completely new to forums, but I have seen a thread of yours that mentions so much of what I have found out. I would be grateful if you could contact me. I know about John being completely confused over a will, and i think there was a crooked lawyer, also John (who was a tailor) couldn't read very well, and didn't take advice to take action when he could. I have also seen - a copy on my computer somewhere - this huge family tree going back to 15 something or other. John's son Leonard became a large travel agent in Oldham, married my gr grandmother Emily Cheffins who was a mill worker in Oldham. Leonard was a clever man, and did well. My mother used to spend her school holidays with him. So in order not to duplicate work, I'd love to get some idea about the Stantons - and I wonder what happened to Lydia?

best wishes Martin

olcodger

Just a thought could 'meten hows' be Meeting House?
    regards Malcolm J.

olcodger

Oops I missed Page 2 where that has already been suggested-sorry. MJ.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123