Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Can anyone read this letter?

Here is a letter to do with claims to the Stanton estates in Walsall it is legible in parts but I am really struggling with it.

My rough translation is as follows:
    Mrs Mary or Sarah Stanton var St Thos square (obscure) street Hackeny
    She resided at no 18 in the (Pouthey?) before hon 1788 (adnorement?) put into (whole sentence not making sense something something Stanton Staffordshire)
    Mary Wright carlead Stanton as sold 2 farms nere the (church?) ner the (?)
    (list den 19 May 1785 and on 1791)
    the oldness of James Partge and Joseph Partge bowth of more (agaigent?) to gethere and (?) Wright at the above path at the white Swan as got a large farm or farms and left thes to the above & barns and stables con houses to the same & all concerned out houses to the same above same (apertaints ?) Loyds leving (?) in ardent change. The same with the (?) of york and Thos. Stanton (?) estates hon April th 14 and on the 18-1791 the same asbelonges to I your clint (Client?) frome Mary Stanton of (herie?) Street Hackney this to cortify coringing Mr Alliss Wife Leesthie as resided with with Sarah Stanton Leetne to Thos Stanton at NO 18 in the Puthney London at the time as he diead about October 1789 he nial buried in the maten heard burring ground Moorfieldes London as I was informed by the (?) above and abill field in the cart of lehansey to recover (?) same from the s above and from the (same?) Mrs Mary Wright of Kinlworth (Kenilworth) from theire have has bound Death as she sead on 1774 from the s Mary Wright Carlead Stanton the last (clametion?) Cot 28 1801

Coromandel

Yuk! Well done for deciphering what you've done! I have picked out a few more words for you but still haven't grasped what the author is trying to say. The spelling is quite atrocious which doesn't help.

line 1: I think it says Ma Street - perhaps meaning Mare Street
    line 2: the Poultrey (repeated later) = Poultry (another London street)
    line 3: this is hard to make sense of but it appears to include the phrase 'corning the changen arkebiship' (concerning the changing archbishop?). Later on in the letter there is another reference to what seems to say the 'uchbishob' of York. (According to Wikipedia there was a change of archbishop of York in 1761 and 1776.)
    line 4: Mary Wright Corlead Stanton: in some places the writer uses 'ead' where you'd expect 'ed'; I am wondering if 'corlead' = 'called'?

Mr Alliss Wife Leesthie as resided with with Sarah Stanton Leetne to Thos Stanton
    I have read the two highlighted words as 'Cestre', probably an attempt at 'sister'.

he nial buried in the maten heard burring ground Moorfieldes London as I was informed by the (?) above and abill field in the cart of lehansey to recover (?) same
    my version is:
    'he was Burried in the meten hows Burring ground Moorefeldes
    London as I was informead by the 3 above
    and a bill Field [= filed ] in the Cort of Chansrey to recovere t[he]
    same'

As for the rest I will have to sleep on it . . . I will see if it looks clearer in the morning. Time for bed now!

Wiganexile

A few thoughts about the letter, which I've copied in full:

Mrs Mary or Sarah Stanton var[first letter is an N?] St Thos square [which is off Mare St, but that doesn't seem to fit](obscure) street Hackeny
    She resided at no 18 in the (Pouthey?)[Poultry?] before hon 1788 (adnorement?) 'put into'[Could this be a first name beginning with E?] (whole sentence not making sense something something[Lides? even - - corning the c?hangen arkebishop at] Stanton Staffordshire)
    Mary Wright carlead Stanton as sold 2 farms nere the (church?) ner the (?)
    (list den 19 May 1785 and on 1791)
    the oldness of James Partge and Joseph Partge bowth of more (agaigent?) to gethere and (?) Wright at the above path at the white Swan as got a large farm or farms and left thes to the above & barns and stables con[cow] houses to the same & all concerned[convenient] out houses to the same above same (apertaints ?) Loyds leving (?) in ardent change. The same with the (?)[archbishop] of york and Thos. Stanton (?)[squire?] [e]states [h]on April th 14 and on the 18-1791 the same asbelonges to I your clint (Client?) frome Mary Stanton of (herie?) Street Hackney this to cortify[certify] coringing Mr Alliss[Elliss] Wife Leesthie [cestre=sister?] as resided with with Sarah Stanton Leetne[sister] to Thos Stanton at NO 18 in the Puthney London at the time as he diead about October 1789 he nial[was] buried in the maten[mater] heard[house] burring[burying] ground Moorfieldes London as I was informed by the (?) above and abill field[filed] in the cart of lehanse[Court of Chancery] to recover (?) same from the s above and from the (same?) Mrs Mary Wright of Kinlworth (Kenilworth) from theire have has bound[husband?] Death as she sead on 1774 from the s Mary Wright Carlead Stanton the last (clametion?) Cot[October] 28 1801

At 22.47 - gone crosseyed, will try again.

Its a real humdinger isn't it? Hard to decipher the bad handwriting from the bad spelling from the bad grammer and 18th century swirliness .
    Your doing a great job of helping so far

I think the squeezed in line three reads
    "put into files/lides even past (mouss?) corning(concerning?) the changen(ing?) arkbishop o Stanton Staffordshire"
    What the hell it means I have no idea

Wiganexile

I bought some yellow cellophane this morning (remembered tip from 1970s photocopying) and it improves the contrast - still can't make moss or sand of much of the letter.

pippycat

Here's my take on it!

Mrs Mary or Sarah Stanton, something St something Square, something Street, Hackney, the resider at No 18 in the Pultney before something 1788 adonisment. Ad??? filed even something St James/or Chamber? conving the something of Archbishop something Stanton.
    Mary Wright called Stanton as sold 2 farms near? the Church something 1st something 19 May 1785 and 1794.
    The others (T?) James Partge and Joseph Partge court? or more agents? to be there and act? Mary Wright the said above, both while something as got a large Farm or Farms and left her to the above. Something Burns and another name, Cow Hands to the same, all convenient Out Houses to the same surname.
    Something Loyd leving something in a hope to change the same with the (withhold?) of York and Thos Stanton something on 18-1791, the same as belongs to your client frome Mary Stanton of something Street, Hackney.
    This to certify? concerning Mr Ellifs (Ellis?) wife festine* as resided with Sarah Stanton festine to Thos Stanton at No.18 the Pultney, London at the time as he died, about Octobre 1789, then something Burried in the meten board? Burrying ground at Moorfield, London as I was informed by the above and a bill (filed) in the Court of Chancery to recover to same from the said above and from the said something Mary Wright of Kinlworth, from their have had found death as the sedd on 17-74, from the said Mary Wright called Stanton, the last clamation.

* festine - think it means 1st person, singular present (somebody with knowledge of Latin, Help!!)

So guessing: Mr Ellif/Ellis wife was present as resided with Sarah Stanton, who was present to Thos Stanton at No. 18. at the time he died - or something along those lines.

Rebecca

Wiganexile

Do you think the writer regularly dropped and added 'h's? I know it was an 'ertfordshire 'abit at one time.

Coromandel

I haven't made much progress since yesterday, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Zen Rabbit View Post
    in ardent change. The same with the (?) of york
    I think this says 'in ordre to change the same' with the Archbishop of York. So this may refer to some exchange of property? I don't know if 'leving' means leaving or levying or something else. The word that comes afterwards (or is it two words?) is still baffling me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiganexile View Post
    have has bound [husband?]
    Ah, yes, 'husband' would make much more sense! Brilliant deduction, Wiganexile.

I wonder if it in fact reads 'hare hos bound', i.e. her husband.

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    'he was Burried in the meten hows Burring ground Moorefeldes
    London as I was informead by the 3 above
    and a bill Field [= filed ] in the Cort of Chansrey to recovere t[he]
    same'
    Not so sure about the '3' now: it could be a badly written 'sd' i.e. 'said'.

Wiganexile and pippycat I think you're right about Mr Alliss really being Mr Elliss.

Zen Rabbit, there is what appears to be a page number ('i') at the bottom of the page. Does that mean there's more?

Coromandel

Zen Rabbit, I see that the image filename mentions 'Thomas of Greenwich'.

So perhaps it says West Greenwich (or some garbled version of Greenwich) at the end of line 4?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast