Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Wiganexile

Next attempt: the * replaces the shorthand symbol (may mean person/s?). It's still fairly incomprehensible.

Mrs Mary or Sarah Stanton Not St Thos square Ma street Hackeny
    She resided at no 18 in the Poultry before hor 1788 adjournement.
    [line 3 inserted: 'put into'/E? Lides? even - - concerning the changen arkebishop at Stanton Staffordshire]
    Mary Wright callead Stanton as sold 2 farms nere the (church?) ner the (?)
    (list den 19 May 1785 and on 1791)
    the holdres I James Partge and Joseph Partge bowth are maneagagent to gethere and a Mr Wright at the * above path at the white Swan as got a large farm or farms and left thes to the * above & barns and stables cow houses to the same & all convenient out houses to the same above same (apertaints ?) Loyds leving (?) in order to change The same with the archbishop of york and Thos. Stanton squire states [h]on April th 14 and on the 18-1791 the same asbelonges to I your client frome Mary Stanton of (herie?) Street Hackney this to certify concinging Mr Elliss Wife Lees sister as resided with Sarah Stanton sister to Thos Stanton at NO 18 in the Pouthrey London at the time as he diead about October 1789 he was buried in the maten[mater] house burying ground Moorfieldes London as I was informed by the * above and a bill filed in the Court of Chancery to recover the same from the * above and from the said(?) Mrs Mary Wright of Kinlworth (Kenilworth) from them har husband Death as she sead on 1774 from the * Mary Wright Callead Stanton the last clame tion October 28 1801

Knowledgeable and helpful

A fine effort there thank you. I wondered if maten might be the latin word for "morning"?

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Zen Rabbit View Post
    I wondered if maten might be the latin word for "morning"?
    I thought it was 'meten hows' = meeting house, i.e. a non-conformist chapel of some sort.

Wiganexile

Google for references to a Quaker Meeting House 'Little Moorfields' (a 1780 sermon), and 'on the Pavement, Moorfields'.

We all seem to have been working on the letter at the same time so haven't been able to shortcut with each others ideas - line 3 excepted!

and - Coromandel, how did you see the file reference, please?

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Wiganexile View Post
    Coromandel, how did you see the file reference, please?
    By right-clicking on the image and choosing 'View Image' - it opened in a new Firefox tab and then the filename was included in the URL.

Wiganexile

It isn't an option in Explorer, and Firefox (which I would like to use) falls over. Ah, well. Thanks.

Some sense is beginning to emerge:

Mrs Mary or Sarah Stanton of *St Thos square now street Hackney
    She resided at no 18 in the Poultry before her 1788 advertisement
    [was} put into Lloyds Evening Post ** concerning the changing archbishop at Stanton Staffordshire.
    Mary Wright called Stanton has sold 2 farms near the church near the **
    the ?holders? I James Partge and Joseph Partge both are managing together and a Mr Wright at the 's above ?path? at the White Swan has got a large farm or farms and messuages to the 's above & barns and stables cow houses to the same & all convenient out houses to the same above same. Advertisement put into Lloyds evening newspaper in order to change the same with the Archbishop of York and Thos. Stanton squire states on April th 14 and on the 18 - 1791 the same as belongs to I your client frome Mary Stanton of Hearn (or Heron) Street Hackney this to certify concerning Mr Elliss Wife sister has resided with Sarah Stanton sister to Thos Stanton at no 18 in the Poultrey London at the time as he died about October 1789 he was buried in the meeting house burying ground Moorfieldes London as I was informed by the 's above and a bill filed in the Court of Chancery to recover the same from the 's above and from the said(?) Mrs Mary Wright of Kenilworth from them her husband's death as she said on 1774 from the 's Mary Wright Called Stanton the last ?claimant? on October 28 1801

A stab from Dale in New Zealand

Dissenter

I think 'maten heard burring ground Moorfieldes London' means Meeting House burial ground, Moorfields, London - i.e. a burial ground attached a non-confirmist place of worship.

Dissenter

Having done a bit of further browsing, there was an Albion Chapel on Moorfields described as Scotch Calvinist - in Leigh's New Picture of London (1839) whilst the Christian's Penny Magazine of 1834 describes the opening of a Finsbury Chapel, Moorfields - complete with illustration. Not sure if they refer to the same place! Both publications available on Google Books.

Wiganexile

Daleaway: building on your advance, I think the inserted line 3 starts 'Put into Loyds even put ' and then degenerates into 't....nooss P.....nes' etc. and further down after the next Loyds 'leaving name [paper?] in order ...'

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast