Thread: Old postcards

Procat

Default Old postcards

Not strictly about photographers but certainly old photographs that may be useful, postcard world.

Betty Willson

Default Old Postcards - Procat

I would dearly love to have an old postcard showing a picture of Brazil Mill, Isleworth, Middlesex. There was one recently for sale on eBay but I was out bid. The card for sale was Brazil Mill, Wandsworth. I am not sure if Isleworth and Wandsworth are one and the same. Do you know? Are you interested in old postcards? Betty Willson

Procat

Hi Betty,

Isleworth and Wandsworth are not the same places.

You may find this link useful for Isleworth:

https://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town...oa57/old/hist/

I am not really interested in old postcards I just thought people may find some useful images on this site.

Best wishes,

Brian

Wink

Betty
    I often buy postcards on ebay and like you can be outbid. I decided to save a copy of the image to my computer so that if I was outbid I would still be able to refer to it. Just an idea...
    Brian

Betty Willson

Default Postcards Procat

Thank you for your replies, Procat and Brian. My great grandfather, Edward Stanbrough was a miller at Isleworth in 1861 as was his father, James and grandfather William before him. I have been told that at the site of the Brazil Mill by the Duke of Northumberland's River, there are still stone boundary markers set into the river banks with the names of previous owners of the land, J and C.H.S. June 1855 for the Stanbroughs, James, my great great grandfather and Charles Henry, his brother. My great grandparents and their children were living in the Mill House, Brazil Mill Lane at the time of the 1861 census. I've had many different reports as to which mill they worked. I don't suppose you happen to have any further information about corn mills at Isleworth. I have printed out the information from the web site you gave me and will study it. I have 2 books featuring old postcards of Isleworth. Betty Willson

Betty Willson

Default Old postcards Procat

I'm sorry, I do everything too quickly. I should have thanked Doug Johnson for the information about Wandsworth being a different place from Isleworth, and also mentioned a special thank you to Brian for the tip about saving images etc. I do appreciate any help I can get. Betty Willson.

Procat

Hi Betty,

Unfortunately I don't have any further information about Isleworth.

I just did a search on Google which came up with the page I gave you.

Best wishes,