Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Williams from Wales to Wisconsin

Going back on my mothers side of the family I come to a halt at my Great Grandmother Eleanor Williams born c1839 in Anglesey, Wales. As far as I know she married twice, first to Hugh Hughes 1867 then to Daniel Jones 1879, it is from the second marriage that I descend. From her marriage certificate to Hugh Hughes I know that her father was Richard Williams a Farmer but on Anglesey that’s where I come to an end. However, we have a letter sent to my Grandmother from her cousin Margaret E. Williams living in Randolph, R.7.D.#2. Wisconsin USA. In this letter she say “Do you speak the Welsh Language……I am better versed in the Welsh language myself although I have been a public school teacher for 12 years.” At the date of this letter 1907 she is still teaching. She goes on to say that her father instructed them in the language when they were at home. She asks after an Aunt Kate who I have know knowledge of, also she says that she has 3 sisters 2 married Lizzie (possible Elizabeth) and the youngest Mirrian who has a daughter aged 3 (no name given) the other sister is named as Anna and is the eldest.
    One last bit which I know is that my Great grandmother left Anglesey when she was about 13 and both her marriages are in Liverpool her second husband was also from Anglesey and was a seaman.
    Search as I may I can not find any of these people in Wisconsin, my thoughts are if I could make a link then I may be able with their fathers details be able to build a better picture of the family and thereby find the right Richard Williams. I have tryied to make cintact with the office in Randolph but recieved no reply any help will be appriecated.
    Roy

Nicolina

a search of the Census gives Randolph in Missouri, not Wisconsin. Have you found Margaret on any Census?

Mutley

There is a family in Anglesey in the 1851 census.
    Richard is the head aged 46 and he is a farmer. His wife is 48 year old Elizabeth.
    Children:
    Richard Williams age 15
    Catherine Williams age 13
    Eleanor Williams age 11 born Llaneigrad
    Owen Williams age 9
    Grace Williams age 6
    HO107/2521/171/4

Obviously this family needs to be followed through the census. Eleanor is not with them in 1861 so she may have moved to Liverpool by then. I wonder if Catherine could be Aunt Kate.

It would need to be found if this Richard had brothers and if the brothers had children that line up with the names you have given.

I don't have a world wide sub to find out if Margaret could be found in a USA census.
    Last edited by Mutley; 22-12-2012 at 9:29 PM. Reason: Forgot census ref.

Nicolina

I checked the 1910 Census and there were 60 Margaret WILLIAMS listed in Wisconsin.

Mutley

Can you confirm please, that this is your great grandmother living in LIverpool in 1871?

Hughe Hughes 1844, Liverpool
    Ellinor 1844, Llaneugrad (sic)
    Ellias 13 months old, Liverpool
    RG10/3771/127/27

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Eleanor Williams age 11 born Llaneigrad
    The place is actually Llaneugrad, which is not far from Benllech and Moelfre, and can be found on Google Maps.

This is them in the 1841 Census:
    Name Age Birth Year Where born
    WILLIAMS, Richard 35 1806 Anglesey
    WILLIAMS, Elizabeth 35 1806 Anglesey
    WILLIAMS, Richard 6 1835 Anglesey
    WILLIAMS, Marry 6 1835
    WILLIAMS, William 4 1837 Anglesey
    WILLIAMS, Eleanor 0 (10 months) 1841 Anglesey

Piece: 1362 Book/Folio: 10/5 Page: 4
    Tanrallt, Llaneugrad

In 1861 there are a number of Eleanor Williams of about the right age who could be her. They are all in either Bangor, or Anglesey with the exception of one, which is in Great Broughton, near Chester. All the single candidates are servants.

You say that you have a letter to your grandmother - is this the daughter of Eleanor, or do you mean Eleanor?

Starting to feel at home

Thank you Mutley for your help. At present I can't confirm though that the 1871 census information is my Eleanor but it does look very good I will need to do some research on the child Ellias as there is no other mention of him in the family but neither have I found out what happened to Hugh Hughes. The marriage of Hugh to Elleanor was in 1867 at the Parish of Walton on the Hill and he is described as a Workhouse Keeper so I am again uncertian. The ages are of course different but I have seen so many dates being misquoted in my family research that a couple of years oneway or another means nothing. I have Elleanor on the 1881 Census now re-married to Daniel Jones with her 1 year old daughter Elizabeth (my Grandmother) RG 11/3663 p 31 (80), sorry I am never sure how to quote these refs.

Mutley

Thanks Megan, I posted the transcription as I was not sure of the actual spelling.

There is a baptism for a Richard Williams on the 3 Jan 1804 at Llandrygarn, Anglesey. He is the son of Owen and Elinor (two of the names given to the children of the Richard found in 1841 and 1851, not that that is conclusive evidence )

Owen and Elinor also baptised Hugh on 4 April 1812 and Robert on 15 Mar 1809 at Llandrygarn. I do not know if this is in the same area as Llaneugrad.

FMP have Anglesey Baptisms - Transcripts, it may be worth buying some credits as there are other places in Anglesey that I did not search through.

It would be interesting to know the children of Hugh and Robert.

P.S. Just seen your post Roy, thanks that helps and is an OK reference quote.
    Last edited by Mutley; 22-12-2012 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Added a P.S.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you Megan,

The letter is address to my Grandmother who was Elizabeth Jones born 1880 and was written by her cousin Margaret. The information re where Llaneugrad is sound about rightas its near Red Wharf Bay and I recall my mum telling me thats where the family came from but as you say there are a number of them and thats why I thought if I could locate the Wisconsin branch and there father I may make a more possitive link to the family. Roy

Starting to feel at home

Thanks for infomation re FMP, although I have access to Anc. co our local Library also have access to FMP so a visit there is in order. I will have to get the OS map of Anglesey out and look at locations as in the letter there is mention of a railway near to where the cousins used to live problem is Beacham did away with a number of lines!!!! More research. As a matter of interest and not related to the search the letter has a lovely paragraph about "Automobling is the "craze" around here...........I prefera fine carrage and a "sprightly" team of horses to any automobile......" perhaps a more gentle time? Roy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast