Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Thanks Nicolina, The address I gave in the post is exactly how it is on the letter and on the research I did I agree with you it looked confusing to my as well. I do not know weather over the years they have changed names or am I missing something I did hope that because she was a scholl teacher and perhaps it is or was a small town there maybe some local records which could help. grasping at straws maybe but the resources on this site have always amazed me so i live in hope. Roy

Mutley

The letter sounds a wonderful piece of history to have. You are lucky.

I think I might have been going down the wrong road by thinking Margaret was a cousin to Eleanor and therefore the daughter of one of Eleanor's uncles.

If she was an unmarried lady with the surname Williams and a cousin to Eleanor's daughter then would she instead be the daughter of one of Eleanor's brothers? I think I am losing it a bit.

Starting to feel at home

Hi Mutley, Family research and losing it never! Yes Margaret from the letter is the couin of Elizabeth sorry I may not have made that very clear. My thoughts are as you say that Margaret Williams' father is a brother of Eleanor.

Mutley

OK, I'll have another look tomorrow, though the place names in Wales do confuse me somewhat.

Margaret must have been born and spent her childhood in Wales, hopefully Anglesey. Her father should be either Richard or Owen, unless there were other sons.
    She should have some sisters though we do not know when she emigrated and if any were born in the USA.
    She might be about 10 years older or younger than Elizabeth but that is just a rough starting point.
    There is also the possibility that she was a second cousin and that would still make her a child of one of Eleanor's brother's children but we won't go there yet. I think she is probably too young

They might be on a passenger list somewhere.

I hope you do not mind, I have changed the title of your thread slightly. We need all the help we can get and I do think your starting point should be Wales.

Good Luck.

Nicolina

a look on Google maps does show a smallplace calles Randolph, Wisconsin. It appears to be on Route 73. just west of the north end of Beaver Dam Lake. There are several schools within an 8km radius.

Lizzy9

Not sure about this, further searching necessary but thought it worth adding to the thread.

1900 census Milwauki Wisconsin

Margaret Williams, born Wisconsin Apr 1873, boarder, Teacher.

Father born Wales, mother Pennsylvania.

Nicolina

the 1880 Census for Milwauki has 2 Margarets (born 1872 & 1875).
    Moris (sic) WILLIAMS aged 40. occ: Carpenter
    Hellen, WILLIAMS wife. aged 33. Keeping House,
    Rich WILLIAMS aged 10
    Margaret WILLIAMS aged 8
    Ellen WILLIAMS aged 6
    Harry WILLIAMS aged 2

all entered as born in Wales
    ----------------------
    the one born in 1875 doesn't fit. Apart from Grandma (born Germany), they were all born in Wisconsin.

Nicolina

Morris has re-married.
    The 1900 Census has him, born Oct 1837, with a wife called Margaret, who was born in May 1840. Harry is still at home and is a Brakeman on the Railroad, born June 1879.
    Extra info. Morris emigrated in 1859 and Margaret in 1846. They married in 1894.

Lizzy9

Considering the names, these look promising.

1880, Fox Lake, Dodge, Wisconsin (6 miles from Randolph.

A. P. Wm. Williams (name as indexed) 42, Farmer, Wales
    Mariam Williams 40, Wales
    Richard Williams 14, Wisconsin
    Anna Williams 12, Wisconsin
    Lizzie Williams 8, Wisconsin
    Maggie Williams 5, Wisconsin

Same family 1870, Fox Lake

William Williams 32
    Mariam Williams 29
    Richard Williams 3
    Ann Jane Williams 10/12

Lizzy9

1900, Fox Lake.

Wm A Williams 53, widow, emigrated 1862.
    Maggie Williams 24
    Evan Jones 48
    Miriam Williams 18

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast