terrysfamily

Default Help with FTM headings

I am using FTM (so that's a good start)

When you enter info on say a marriage. You select the little Icon (that looks like a pencil) if you hover over it it says 'Edit marriage details'

A little window opens. You click on 'Add Fact' and another little window opens. You now have 3 places to enter info.

Type - (type M and it will enter Marriage for you) But should you not want to enter Marriage you can click on the little down arrow and select one of the others i.e. Marriage, Marriage Banns, Marriage Licence etc

Date - you enter the date

Place or Description - usually enter the location the marriage took place.

Click ok and the information appears as a new fact on the marriage info page.

Now that's all well and good if you follow the procedures above.

I didn't - Numpty that I am.

I wanted to enter the Witnesses.

Type - Witness 1
    Date - 12/12/12
    Place or Description - Dat place over by dare.

Only trouble is at sometime in the past I actually wrote Whitness instead of Witness DAH!!

Is there a way of editing these event type headings? Which when you enter them seem to become a part of FTM.

I have tried find and replace in the edit menu but it only looks at what you have entered and not the Heading.

Anyone?

Terry

terrysfamily

Please ignore this post. I've found a way of doing it.

I went into 'Edit marriage details'

I selected to edit an event.

in the 'Type' I replaced Whitness with Witness 1.

It said did I want to add this as a new type. I clicked ok. It then asked if I'd like to replace all Whitness with Witness 1. i clicked ok again.

It has taken Whitness out of the headings and replaced it with Witness 1

Sorry to ask for help then not need it.

Terry

Jan1954

No need to apologise, Terry.

Whilst you might feel like a numpty for posting a question and then the answer, there will be other people who will find the instructions to be helpful.

Annamarie

Gosh I'm now going to display my ignorance! Can I ask what FTM you are using? I know there is one through Ancestry but I notice there are several free ones advertised. Thanks

terrysfamily

I'm using FTM 2005. It was a free one from a magazine. They have brought out FTM 2012 now. I have had newer versions but have somehow reverted to 2005 and prefer it.

Terry

Sandra Parker

Stick to what you know! New versions are created to cause confusion and mayhem amongst people who are content with things that work and don't need to keep up with the anybodies, let alone those J****'s! Or even be trendy and modern and up to date, and with it and ...................

Well that's what I think!

Sandra and her agreeable spectacled aura

terrysfamily

Sandra I agree with you and your agreeable spectacled aura.

Why change for changes sake and besides the older version takes up less space than the newer ones.

Terry