Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jackfrost

Default Grandfathers birth certificate

I am trying to find the birth date of my GT GT Grandfather, Charles Frederick Abbott who's Christening was on the 10/03/1833 at Saint Mark's church, Kennington, London, England, I need to get his birth certificate so that I can continue my search for his parents. Can anybody help please?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Jack,
    Charles was born before civil registration began on 1 July 1837 so there will be no birth certificate for him.
    The PR entry for his baptism gives his parents as Charles and Esther of William (St?) New Kent Road, and Charles senior was an undertaker.

A tree on Ancestry says that Charles and Hester (sic) Davis were married 30 December 1829 at St Luke's church Charlton. I can't see the marriage in Ancestry's London marriages database.

Pam

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Family search has this marriage:

Charles Frederick Alexander Abbott + Hester Davis
    England, Marriages, 1538–1973
    30 Dec 1829 Saint Luke,​Old Charlton,​Kent,​England

Several baptisms are there inc. Charles Frederick Abbott
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Mutley

The marriage of Charles Frederick Abbott to Mary Ann Evans at St George the Martyr, Southwark on 25th Dec 1857 confirms his father as being Charles Frederick Abbott an undertaker.

Mutley

In the 1851 census HO107/1565 f/498 p/24
    Charles Jnr was an unmarried artist (as per marriage cert) living as a lodger with the Taylor family at 33 Joiner Street, St George the Martyr. Birth was 1833. Sadly, no help there with his parents.

Coromandel

Ancestry has a burial for a Charles Frederick Alexander Abbott in 1842. I can't see the full entry but his date of birth appears to be around 1807.

A possible 1841 census for Charles (undertaker) & 'Easter' Abbott has been suggested on another forum:

https://www.
    rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=229525.0

Annoyingly there's no Charles junior with them. It would be interesting to know if the address matched that in the burial register.

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    Ancestry has a burial for a Charles Frederick Alexander Abbott in 1842. I can't see the full entry but his date of birth appears to be around 1807.

Annoyingly there's no Charles junior with them. It would be interesting to know if the address matched that in the burial register.
    The entry reads Charles Frederick Alexander Abbott of Goose/Greese (something like that) Street buried on the 2 May 1842 age 36 years.

jackfrost, did you get the death certificate?

Mutley

I think I found a few other possible baptisms:
    William Moyses (Moses?) at Newington in 1830. Abode Hampton Street.
    Your Charles.
    Edward at Lambeth St. Mary in 1835. Abode Hope Place.
    George Edward and Margaret Emily in 1838. Abode Berkley Street.

Cannot find them for sure on the 1841.
    The boys marriage entries do not say their father is dec'd though some children don't seem to mention or be asked that question.

Then this one???
    Sarah Ann Charlotte Abbott baptism 8 March 1846 at Deptford, daughter of Charles and Ester.
    Charles is a Plasterer and the address is G ? e (a small word beginning with G and ending in e) Lane.

It is after the death found for a Charles and the occupation is not correct but...... who is she?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

As Mutley says for the burial, I think it reads Gross St, Ancestry 1841 looks more like Grisse St. St.Pancras..close enough?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    The entry reads Charles Frederick Alexander Abbott of Goose/Greese (something like that) Street buried on the 2 May 1842 age 36 years.
    Thanks for checking that, Mutley.

The 1841 census quoted on the other site has the address as "Gape St? Gupe St? Grape St? (sorry hard to read)"

The reference given, HO107/686, Book 2, f.9 would fit with this being Gresse Street:

https://yourarchives.nationalarchives...reet_Index_G-K

Edit: sorry Wendy, I missed your reply while I was typing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast