Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sending Gedcom

Dizzy600

Default Sending Gedcom

Hi,

I have been doing a tree for a relative in NZ on FTM 2011 and now want to send her the information, what is the best way to do it?

If, she has 2011 as well, would sending a Gedcom send the media files as well? I would like her to be able to see where the info has come from.

Any help or suggestions are most welcome.

Karen

terrysfamily

Don't know FTM 2011 but I know with the version of FTM that I use it doesn't send the media files.

Terry

Just had a thought. Save a copy of the gedcom on your hard drive. Then select open new file from the menu and select the gedcom. You will then see what is actually saved in a gedcom file.

Dizzy600

Hi Graham,

Thank you very much for the above. I will give it a go in the morning and let you know how I get on - fingers crossed!

Karen

Thanks also to terrysfamily - it all helps...

terrysfamily

That's brilliant Greaham. It even works in FTM 2005. Well you learn something new evrey day on BG. (great site, great forum)

Karen go with what Graham said it works.

Thanks both. Just goes to prove you're never to old to learn.

Terry

Famous for offering help & advice

err ... What is GEDCOM?

Jane

Name well known on Brit-Gen

GEnealogy Data Communications. If you google GEDCOM you will see such in various software & the how-what- why of it.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Dizzy600

Hi Graham,

Thought I would give you an update.

I was able to download the file but it is too big to send in an email so will have to look at other options...

Thank you for the advice.

Karen

terrysfamily

Hi Karen,

You could always burn a copy to cd or save a copy to a memory stick and send that to her. She would have to copy the file to her hard-drive before opening it of course as FTM won't open the file from a removable device.

When you want to copy your FTM family file from your computer to a cd or memory stick, don't just copy ‘individuals list’ otherwise you will only get the individuals in that list and none of the information that goes along with them.

You need to copy the file that all the information is saved in.

Don’t load up FTM at all.

Eg. My family tree is saved in, ‘name.ftw Family File’,’ it is saved in my documents. (You should find yours if you click on ‘my computer’ then ‘my doucument ) The icon for the file looks like a little family tree (blue) coming from a book. There is also one with a (red) tree but there is no need to copy this one as it is only a back-up file.

Copy the file to the device of your choice. When your relation receives it (as I've said) she won’t be able to open the file from the cd or memory stick you've sent as FTM won’t let her. She will have to save it to her hard-drive, this is so that FTM knows where to save a back-up to when it creates the back-up when she exit FTM.

Hope this helps

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy600 View Post
    too big to send in an email
    How much too big?
    A Gedcom is a text file so you can open it in any text editor, e.g. Notepad, then split it into two (or more) sections and send these. They can then be put back together at the other end.
    1) Open the Gedcom file
    2) Scroll down to about halfway (use the scroll bar), highlight everything to the end and 'cut' this
    3) Save the first bit as 'gedcom1.ged' or similar
    4) Open notepad again, copy in the second half (which you 'cut' before) and save this as 'gedcom2.ged'
    Send each half in separate emails.
    At the other end, they open both in a text editor, highlight and copy all of the second part and paste it to the end of the first part. Then save the result as 'Gedcom.ged' and this should open in any family tree program.

Quote Originally Posted by terrysfamily View Post
    She would have to copy the file to her hard-drive before opening it of course as FTM won't open the file from a removable device.
    Mine does - I keep my files on a removable drive!

Andrew

Ken_R

Another method is to use Cloud Storage. Upload the file to somewhere like FileFactory or MediaFire. Then get your 'rellie' to download it from there. You can protect the file so that only the intended recipient has access.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast