Thread: Bomb Sight

Very quick off the mark.

Default Bomb Sight

An interactive map showing every bomb dropped on London by German forces during World War II

bombsight.org

I looked at the map earlier but there seems to be a problem with it now - possibly the site is overloaded.

Mods: Not sure if this should be under WWII or London.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by margarita View Post
    Mods: Not sure if this should be under WWII or London.
    WW2 seems to fit just nicely, Maggie.

It is certainly a great website.

Sandra Parker

I have been trying to locate a contact name/address for this site. Can't seem to find one anywhere.

My Dad was awarded the George Medal for rescuing 2 people from a bombed dwelling at 60 Granville Road, Wandsworth, on 9th September 1940. The house was damaged beyond repair, from reports of the time.

There is no mention of this bomb site on 'Bomb Sight'. I note it is an ongoing project and wondered if they were proceeding, by district, by date, or something else.

Any ideas?
    Sandra

Sandra Parker

Forgot to add this site for those interested in the V1 and V2's. Oct 1942-March 1945. (after my date of interest)

https://www.flyingbombsandrockets.com/

Sandra

Reputation beyond repute

If you're interested in the subject and want detailed maps, see The London County Council Bomb Damage Maps 1939-1945 edited by Ann Saunders (2005). It's out of print but public libraries in the UK should be able to obtain a copy via inter-library loans or see the originals at LMA.

Sandra Parker

Thanks, as always, Peter.
    I do have a copy of an original map, but Granville Road is right at the bottom of the map. This was kindly sent to me by Chris Doran some time ago. He had comsiderable knowledge and data for London bombing sites.
    I was hoping that the new siite might be clearer or have some further information, either now, or in the future.
    Sandra

When in doubt, read the instructions!!!!!!!!!!
    With Bomb Sight you can discover what it was like in London, during WW2 Luftwaffe Blitz bombing raids, exploring maps, images and memories. The Bomb Sight web map and mobile app reveals WW2 bomb census maps between 7/10/1940 and 06/06/1941, previously available only by viewing them in the Reading Room of The National Archives.

'My" bombing was 9th Spetember!
    No wonder it isn't there.
    Last edited by Sandra Parker; 08-12-2012 at 1:13 AM. Reason: didn't read the bomb sight dates properly

Mutley

As I child I grew up in a badly bomb damaged area of the City. Some of the bomb sites that I played on and knew very well are not on the site. I suspect it must be a work in progress.