Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    pippycat

Terry, Ontario census for you:

1891: Wellington South, Guelph City.

John T Drayton 1858 Ontario. Polisher? (Image reads born England, same as his parents)
    spouse: Louisa N Drayton 1854 USA (parents born England)
    dau: Edith N Drayton 1879 Ontario (parents born Ontario)
    dau: Lillian Drayton 1882 Ontario (parents born England)
    son: Sanber? 1884 Ontario (parents born England)

Ontario births:
    Edith Noval Drayton b 6 April 1978 Wellington
    Father: John T Drayton Stage Driver
    Mother: Louisa M McKelcan
    birth registered 9 May 1879.

Want me to email you the images?

Rebecca

terrysfamily

That would be lovely Rebecca. Thank you very much indeed.

Now on my searches I've seen the name 'Sanber' somewhere. I'd better start digging again.

Thank you again.

Terry

Oh yeah, Sanber was on the 1891 cen on familysearch. but it didn't tell you who he was with. Senber must have been a nickname for John Archer.

pippycat

The 1891 image for "Sanber"

As you'll see Chimp, the first letter of his name could well be half a capital 'J' - and the archer could have been transcribed as anber, the writing is pretty awful...enjoy!

I've got Lilly's birth record, but John "Sanber" Archer Drayton is hiding from me just now...along with John T and Louisa's marriage.

Rebecca

Famous for offering help & advice

Terry...
    Just now have seen your posting so am trying to sort it all out. As for the 1901 census and immigration dates....don't pay attention to them...for some of my family they are WAY off. I'll see if there's anything I can find for you.

Sue

I don't know if Louise MacKelan Drayton is yours...says she was born in Michigan and her father's name was Frederick. She was aged 71, born in 1853. Says she had lived in Canada for 55 years.

Sue

John Bristow died oct. 14, 1895, age 85yr.11 months. States the informant was Edward Drayton. John was born in England, a Methodist and a labourer and died from ??????itis and old age. That's all his death registration states.

terrysfamily

Quote Originally Posted by pippycat View Post
    The 1891 image for "Sanber"

As you'll see Chimp, the first letter of his name could well be half a capital 'J' - and the archer could have been transcribed as anber, the writing is pretty awful...enjoy!

I've got Lilly's birth record, but John "Sanber" Archer Drayton is hiding from me just now...along with John T and Louisa's marriage.

Rebecca
    Quote Originally Posted by susan-y View Post
    Terry...
    Just now have seen your posting so am trying to sort it all out. As for the 1901 census and immigration dates....don't pay attention to them...for some of my family they are WAY off. I'll see if there's anything I can find for you.

Sue
    Thank you very much Sue. The informant was her son John Auber Drayton. We know her son went by several names, some of them due to poor handwriting. John Auber isn't a million miles away from John Archer or Sanber. With her husband dying 5 years previous it would be up to her son to register her death.

Terry

ps. There is also this on the marriage index on An***try

Ontario, Canada, Marriages, 1801-1928

Name: John Auber Drayton
    Spouse: Jennie Sloan Amos
    Mother: Lauisa Mackelkan Drayton
    Father: John Thomas Drayton

So from this we know the father (matches) the mother (matches) so John Auber has to be John Archer or vise versa.

Terry

Coromandel

There are references online to a Mackelcan family going back to a supposed son of George III and Hannah Lightfoot. There's much too much to try to digest it at this time of the morning! All this on Genforum, for starters:

https://
    genforum.genealogy.com/mackelcan/

It's going to be a challenge to separate fact from fiction with the amount that's been written about them. However, a couple of things caught my eye:
    • the names Neville and Auber crop up in connection with this family: for example, there are references to a family tree compiled by a Henry Auber Mackelcan*
    • some members of the family turn up in Guelph and Hamilton.

*perhaps he wasn't an entirely trustworthy chap though . . . I see a reference in the Canadian Law Journal ordering 'that the said Henry Auber Mackelcan be struck off all existing rolls of attorneys and solicitors' .

terrysfamily

Thank you Coromandel, I shall have a brouse through it but as John T is my 2nd cousin twice removed, going down his wifes line is moving to far from the trunk of my slowly rotting family tree trunk.

But as I say I will take a look.

Thank you for fining it for me.

Terry

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123