Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    terrysfamily

Thank you all very very much. I love this BG-forum.

No wonder I couldn't find them. I wonder what happened to their daughters Mary Ann and Sarah Elizabeth?

I wish Edward had put whereabouts in England he was born so that I could be 100% sure it is them. At the moment I'm only 99.9% sure.

Does anyone know if Birth certs in Canada put place of birth of father or would it just say England like the rest of the records?

Edwards says his religion is Methodist. That would go along with the rest of the family back in England.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    If you would like this thread moved to another forum then please do ask. It is about the only help I can give on this query.
    Probably best now Mutley. I was gonna put it in the forum 'Abducted by alians' but sadly BG doesn't have that forum.

If it was proven that we have been visited by little green/grey visitors over the years would an 'Abducted by alians' forum be set up? No wonder my memory is going, my brain is full of c**p

Right time to get showered and ready for work. I will look into this later.

Thank you again Megan, Coromandel, Wendy, Lizzy9 and Mutley. You have all been very very helpful. I will follow up on the leads you have given for familysearch.

Terry

terrysfamily

Thanks to everyones help I think I have found the burial ground for some of these Draytons.

Deaths.
    Maria T. Drayton, b. England 1827
    Died:: 30 Mar 1899, Guelph, Wellington, Ontario
    burial date: 31 Mar 1899

DRAYTON, Maria
    Woodlawn, Guelph, Wellington - Block K, Civilians' Plots
    DRAYTON, Mary Ann
    DRAYTON, Edward

So daughter Mary Ann did go to canada with them after all.

Thank you all again.

Terry

terrysfamily

I have been looking further into this family. I only have familysearch to work with.

John Tommas (Thomas) Drayton was born, so he says, in Guelph, Wellington, Ontario, Canada in 1855.

John married a woman by the name of Louisa. (I have not found this marriage as yet, so it's pure speculation that they actually married)

They had 3 children that I can find.

Edith Nival Drayton
    birth: 06 Apr 1879, Erin Township, Wellington, Ontario
    father: John T. Drayton, Mother: Louisa M Mckilean
    indexing project (batch) number: C01873-0, source film number: 1845224

Lilly Loretta Drayton
    birth: 16 Sep 1881, Guelph, Wellington, Ontario
    father: John Thos. Drayton, mother: Louisa Nevel
    indexing project (batch) number: C02630-7, source film number: 1845577

John Archer Drayton
    Birth: 27 Aug 1883, Guelph, Wellington, Ontario, Canada
    father: John Drayton, Mother: Lousia
    (batch) number: C01727-0, source film number: 1845865

As you can see the first daughter, Edith Nival, had a mother with the surname Mckilean. Whereas the second daughter, Lilly Loretta, had a mother with the surname Nevel. Then John Archer has to throw his two pennies worth in and have a mother with the surname Neville.

The 1901 census shows this family minus John Archer.

John T. Drayton
    Census, 31 Mar 1901, A, Brant (south/sud), Ontario, Canada
    marital status: Married
    page: 11
    household number: 113
    spouse: Louisa Drayton
    children: Edith N. Drayton, Lillian L. Drayton

When Lily gets married her mothers maiden name has changed from Nevel to Mckelcan!

Groom: Alfred Weeden Irons, age 26
    father: Robert (James) Irons, mother: ? Phillips (I think it's Liddia C. Margo Phillips)
    Bride: Lillian Loretta Drayton, age 29
    father: John Drayton, mother: ? Mckelcan
    Marriage: 29 Sep 1909, Hamilton, Wentworth, Ontario, Canada
    registration number: 022712, digital folder number: 4529578

So my questions are;

1. Was Louisa previously married and that's why the confusion for her surname?
    2. What was her correct surname - Nevel, Neville, Mckilean or Mckelcan?
    3. Did Edward and Louisa actually marry?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Terry

terrysfamily

Quote Originally Posted by terrysfamily View Post
    The 1901 census shows this family minus John Archer.

Terry
    My mistake, John Archer is with the family in 1901. He's age 17. He is also with them on the 1911 census age 27.

Mutley

Sorry Terry, I missed your move request.
    I will go and do it now, Canada seems best and I will change the title to England to Canada.

Should you wish it changed again then I can do so. I will keep an eye on the thread this time.

terrysfamily

Thank you very muchly Mutley, that will do nicely. I have sent Ladkyis a PM requesting the move this morning but I sent it just as she went off line.

Thank you again

Terry

Mutley

De nada

Coromandel

Ancestry has some good Ontario records. I don't have a subscription (too mean!) so can't see full details . . . but it is still possible to extract some details from their indexes.

For example, their 'Ontario, Canada, Deaths 1869-1938' index has a death registration for a Louise MacKelcan Drayton in the Wentworth district in 1923. So perhaps she was Louise/Louisa MacKelkan Neville???

Their Ontario marriages index has a marriage for Edith Neville Drayton to George Wesley Vollick. Also one for a John 'Auber' Drayton (is this John Archer Drayton in disguise???) to Jennie Sloan Amos. Both Wentworth district. I can't see the dates but you could narrow it down by trial and error if SKS with a subscription doesn't come along soon.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    For example, their 'Ontario, Canada, Deaths 1869-1938' index has a death registration for a Louise MacKelcan Drayton in the Wentworth district in 1923. So perhaps she was Louise/Louisa MacKelkan Neville???
    Or perhaps not! The death is on FamilySearch, which gives her father's name as Frederick Mackelkan. Louisa is shown as born 24 July 1853 in Michigan USA, and dying 1 Nov 1923 in Hamilton, Wentworth County, Ontario.

(The birthdate matches that given on the 1901 census for Louisa wife of John T. Drayton.)

terrysfamily

Thank you very much Coromandel. Maybe she was born Louisa MacKelkan and married a Neville? Shame I can't find a marriage for John T to Louisa. Maybe Mr Neville didn't die and John T and Louisa just shacked up together and raised a family? Well it's a possibility?!?

Thank you again

Terry

ps. You're right the birth date is an exact match
    pps John T died in Hamilton, Wentworth County, Ontario too

It has to be her

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast