gingertrixy

Default Canterbury walloon strangers church

HI

I have been busy working on my research, and purchased the huguenot cd for Canterbury and recently the threadneedle church inLondon.

I have finally found the research I am working on!!

I have been trying to trace the De saint Jean, St Jeans and the St Johns as they are now called.. the english version of their name.

I have also today traced the vandersteens.. i still have a long way to go and any help would be gratefully recieved.

If anyone needs any help please say and i will try to help if i can..

I have written because i wanted to say that when you are researching it is such a good idea to go on your own as far as you can.. research outside of the trees, ie ancestry.co.uk.. go by the names and follow up what you find. Read the online books that are so available and you will be surprised.

I have been trying to find the vandersteens for some time. I had no idea they would be walloons when i started and non conformists.. and all this i have found through reading...

The saint jean's as well.. a snippet of a story within the family.. a great grandfather was known as the little french man.. so i worked in this way.. i also saw a link in the tree - many in kent, moving to London then back to kent.. the family is in a round the London, kent area through out its history..

by marriage, birth and death.. I have been amazed...

sorry I had to share ..

sj

Jan1954

It's those little clues along the way that suddenly become helpful JCBs in breaking down brickwalls, isn't it?

Keep digging and you never know what other secrets will unfold.

Davran

The huguenot chapel still exists in Canterbury cathedral - regular church services are held there in French. See this little clip from the BBC Great British Story https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-18774743.

Reputation beyond repute

The Huguenot chapel still exists in Canterbury cathedral
    It's in the crypt. When you go to Canterbury Cathedral Archives (currently closed), you get into the Cathedral free so you can have a good poke around

sueannbowen

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    It's in the crypt. When you go to Canterbury Cathedral Archives (currently closed), you get into the Cathedral free so you can have a good poke around
    That conjures up a good picture Peter - made me laugh anyway.