Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolina View Post
    FreeReg has William DARBY, son of John and Mary (nee STUMPS) born and privately baptised 28th February 1796 at All Saints, Norwich.
    This birthdate for William Darby is widely quoted. The original parish register for Norwich All Saints does have such a baptism. Unfortunately there is also a burial in the same parish just over a year later:

'William son of John Dorby and Mary his Wife late Mary Stamps Spinster Aged 1 year was buried April the 30 1797'

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3....7PP:n377844661

Edit: I see that Wikipedia mentions a possible later birth for William; quoting FamilySearch they say 'a birth register for St. Andrews Workhouse in Norwich reports the birth of a William Darby to John Darby and Mary Stamp at the workhouse on 1 April 1810'. I'm off to see if I can find this . . .

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    Wikipedia mentions a possible later birth for William; quoting FamilySearch they say 'a birth register for St. Andrews Workhouse in Norwich reports the birth of a William Darby to John Darby and Mary Stamp at the workhouse on 1 April 1810'. I'm off to see if I can find this . . .
    Well, FamilySearch do have some registers for St Andrew's workhouse, Norwich in their 'Norfolk Poor Law Union records' collection. And there is a baptism on 1 April 1810 for William son of John & Mary Darby late Stamp sp. A birth date is given in the left-hand column, possibly March 30th. No sign of a year, so presumably it means 1810?

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3....2Y:n1747223836

Lizzy9

He's on the 1871 census age 61, giving a birth year of 1810.

RG10 3664 73 19. Transcribed as ?ablo Marque

spison

Look what happens when you sleep! My head is reeling! What can I say. What amazing discoveries. (And what a pain that they can't be found in 1841 and 1851 but at least I know why none of the family seems to be turning up.) It certainly is sounding to me like the man who died in Sydney in 1869 - and whose daughter I'm tracking - is the same person who was dancing on the tightrope at the age of eight in Ireland and also the same person who abandoned the first wife, Jane BANHAM nee HOLT, to take off for Australia with a second wife, Martha ROLLINSON. In Aus. his son, John, was doing the same thing at the same age and I believe that his daughter was a dancer.

For anyone who has an Ancestry world wide subscription you can find the description of the younger Pablo FANQUE's daughter - Annie BANHAM - in the NSW Police Gazettes where her complexion is shown as 'dark' further supporting some kind of blood relationship to the older Pablo FANQUE - the person of colour.

Would the Irish civil marriage registration give me the name of the mother of William BANHAM otherwise I can't see a lot of point in buying it?

I'm off to the British Newspapers (which I should have thought of earlier!) and re-read and assimilate everything that is written here!

Thanks so much

Jane

spison

Just to add ...

As Master Pablo the earliest reference to William BANHAM appears to be in the Freemans Journal in Dublin in January 1837 where he was billed as five years of age. And in June 1838, in the Northern Star and Leeds Advertiser, again as Master Pablo FANQUE he was billed as the youngest performer in the world whose talents had "obtained for him the appellation of the Gem of Africa." Another performer had taken the name of Master Pablo by 1863. Possibly one of the older Pablo's sons by his second marriage.

Master Pablo and Young Pablo were the names William junior's son, John, used when he performed in Australia.

(A plethora of Pablos!)

Jane

sparklingsilver

My brief knowledge is no doubt going to add a little more to the mystery of the family of Pablo Fanque (William Darby). His biography, Dr. John Turner, states that the son on the tight rope at the time of the accident that killed Susannah Darby/Marlaw, his mother, is Lionel. However, he also states that Pablo had two sons but fails to name the second. In fact there is little genealogical detail or source evidence which is perhaps an indicator that Dr. Turner had problems finding any.
    As an elderly man Lionel told his Manchester family that he had been required to leave home, aged 12, to make his own way in life. However, one needs to bear in mind that episodes of his life suggest him to be something of an inveterate story teller.
    I see that that a reference is made to a Mary Elizabeth Banham as a possible sister of Pablo. He certainly had a sister Mary Elizabeth Darby baptised 18th March 1798 but she died and was buried on 10 Feb 1801. However, a later addition to the family could have been given the same name. It would appear that William Darby the second (Pablo) was born in Norwich workhouse in 1810 and the original records are still held by the local archive - so other children might be found in workhouse records.
    The murder of Jane Banham and subsequent trial was widely covered by local newspapers. In one of the Leeds newspaper articles it is suggested that William Banham, Jane’s husband, is the illegitimate son of Pablo. But newspaper reporting then was as likely to be filled with gossip as they are today. Interestingly, Jane Banham was interred with Susannah Darby.
    I wonder if anyone has ever discovered a formal marriage record for William (Pablo) and Susannah Marlow and if not then any children of the union would be considered illegitimate. But if illegitimate why would William chose to take the name Banham and why Greville/Granville in the case of Lionel. After Pablo’s death Lionel returned to Manchester and after 1881 his northern family assumed the family name of Pablo. Between 1867 and 1871 when he served a prison sentence for forgery he was in Greater London.

Birmingham Gazette, 26 Feb 1838
    "The celebrated Pablo Fanque, and his son, who give their services at the Theatre on Thursday, in aid of the Poor Relief Fund (on which evening the circus will be closed), it will be seen by an advertisement in this page at Batty's Circus on Friday next."

Advertisement
    "Pablo and Master Fanque beg respectfully to inform their Friends and the Public, that their BENEFIT will take place on FRIDAY EVENING NEXT, March 2, and solicit their kind support
    For particulars see bills of the day"

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Default 'For the benefit of Mr KITE'

How ironic this query is back on the board!

Friday 14th February 1843 Pablo FANQUE's Circus Royal was at Town Meadows Rochdale

Follow the link for a picture of Pablo & a copy of the poster.....the words above are from the poster as used by John Lennon!

What my OH would call a bit of useless information.....

In tonight's edition of the Manchester Evening News!

https://www.
    manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/john-lennons-for-the-benefit-of-mr-kit-1302955

Have found several newspaper notices in May 1848 to the marriage on the 19th May of -
    "....., at Rotherham, Mr Pablo Fanque to Miss Cork, of the Bull and Oak, Cattle Market, Sheffield"

The closest to a "Miss Cork" I can find on FreeBMD is -
    "Eliza Corker, Jun 1848, Rotherham, 22 397. However, potential grooms are a Thomas Allott, Abraham Holmes, William Lockwood, Charles Scholey

Leeds Times 18 Mar 1848
    "NOTICE TO CIRCUS MANAGERS AND OTHERS - Absconded on Monday, Mar 13th, 1848, an apprentice of Mr Pablo Fanque, answering to the name of Pablo Fanque Jun, or Master Burkham. Notice is hereby given that any person or persons employing the said youth after this notice will be prosecuted according to the law
    PABLO FANQUE
    Circus Royal, Mar 13 1848, King Charles Croft, Leeds"

Later that month, in the tragedy where Pablo's wife was killed, a "Pablo Fanque Jun" was performing at the time of the accident

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast