Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default A question about a marriage - 1851

A man by the name of George Knight married in 1851. Sadly he died in 1857. Before he died he fathered 2 children. A few years after his death, his widow married again and that is my connection to him [a daughter born from the 2nd marriage of his widow.]

According to freeBMD a George Knight married an Ann BENNY in the Truro R.D. in the Oct-Dec.q. 1851.

Being somwhat frugal, I looked at Cornwall OPC and found the following marriage:
    George Knight married Elizabeth Ann Davey BENNETTS on 15 October 1851 in Truro St. Mary. Her residence was St. Columb, Cornwall. Her father was named as James Southeard Bennetts and his father was Edward.

George died and was buried in Menheniot on 26 Jun 1857.

George isn't of interest, but his widow is. She, after her marraige to Richard Kernick, which took place in Plymouth, Devon had a daughter, Jane, born in Menheniot is 1865.

In the 1861 census, she is living with her 2 children in Menheniot. She states her place of birth as Landrake. This is obviously prior to her 2nd marriage.

In the 1871 census, she is living with her husband, Richard, her 2 children from her 1st marriage and 3 from her 2nd and still in Menheniot.

Is it possible that there is a transcrition error somewhere?

Colin

Lizzy9

Freebmd, lists four possible brides, one is Elizabeth Ann Davey Bonnetto

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy9 View Post
    Freebmd, lists four possible brides, one is Elizabeth Ann Davey Bonnetto
    So, do I concentrate on the the one that is on the GRO [Benny], the one on Cornwall OPC [Bennetts] or look at the others that you found, Lizzy9?

Colin

jac65

According to freeBMD a George Knight married an Ann BENNY in the Truro R.D. in the Oct-Dec.q. 1851
    FreeBMD just lists the names of the people that are on page 431 of the GRO Index, it doesn't say who married who. George Knight married one of the four women listed and CornwallOPC seem to indicate it was Elizabeth Ann Davey Bonnetto (Bennetts on CornwallOPC)

According to CornwallOPC Ann Benney (sic) married Francis Kestall (sic)

Andy

Lizzy9

Hi Colin,

The freebmd site doesn't list of the eight names (4 male, 4, female) who married who. Here's the names from the list for Truro.

Marriages Dec 1851 Truro 9/431.

BENNY Ann
    BONNETTO Elizabeth Ann Davey
    Couch James
    FOSTER Thomas Agustus
    Foster Thomas Augustus
    Guy Susan Trefry
    Julyan Eliza
    KESSELL Francis
    KNIGHT George

Cornwall OPC has Elizabeth Ann Bennetts, and Freebmd has Elizabeth Ann Bonnetto as a possible bride; I would certainly disclude Ann Benny as she probablt married one of the other three grooms. A calculated guess says Cornwall OPC is correct and Bennetts could easily be read or transcribed as Bonnetto. However I'd keep an open mind and look for both names.

Colin Rowledge

It is starting to look like I need to buy the birth cert. of Jane Kernick. It should name her father as Richard and slso provide the maiden name of the widow Knight that he married in 1862.

Agreed or not? If not, other suggestions please.

By the way Richard Kernick died in 1875.

Colin

Nicolina

there is a death for James Bonnetto
    Dec 1842 St Columb Vol 9 Page 55

Nicolina

the 1841 Census for Retew, St Enoder (HO107 / Book 1 / Folio: 11 / Page: 14 / Piece Number: 150) has:
    Walter DAVEY b. abt. 1761 occ: Ind
    Ann DAVEY b. abt. 1771
    James BENNETTO b. abt. 1766 occ: Ind
    Frances TRUSCOTT b. abt. 1822 occ: female Servant
    Ann HORE b. abt. 1821 occ: female Servant
    Daniel BULLOCK b. abt. 1827 occ: male Servant

all born in County

Lizzy9

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    It is starting to look like I need to buy the birth cert. of Jane Kernick. It should name her father as Richard and slso provide the maiden name of the widow Knight that he married in 1862.

Agreed or not? If not, other suggestions please.

By the way Richard Kernick died in 1875.

Colin
    Colin, you've lost me now (not difficult). I assumed you knew the George Knight marriage to an Elizabeth Ann Bennetts/Bonnetto was the right one, and you merely needed confirmation of her birth surname. Have I made the wrong assumption?

Lizzy9

I've done some digging about Colin and cannot find an Ann born Landrake circa 1834 +/- 3 years who married a Mr Wright. Therefore, yes I do think the birth cert is the way to move forward.

Best I've found is : George Knight (could be a mistranscription, but doubtful) of Menheniot to Ann Lawrence of Landrake, 16 Nov 1854, Landrake.

If this was my family history I'd definitely be investing in Jane's birth cert.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast