pottoka

Default Vernon Chas P Gaunt, Saskatoon 1911+ others

Is there anyone out there with an Ancestry sub covering Canada who would be prepared to look up a 1911 Census for me, please?

Vernon Charles Patrick Gaunt, born in Holywell, County Down, Ireland in 1879, emigrated to Canada sometime after the 1901 England Census, although I can't find a record so I expect he rowed there to save money, and is on the 1911 Canada Census as follows:

Name: Vernon Chas P Gaunt
    Birth: 1879 - Ireland
    Residence: 1911 - Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

Any other information, like marriage, occupation, children, death, would be very welcome.

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by pottoka; 19-11-2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Murphy's Law!

pottoka

Default More records ...

As I was typing my first post, I got a sinking feeling that this would happen ...

Vernon's brother Gilbert also went out to Canada, although he was a bit like a yoyo and certainly came back to the old country to marry in 1919 and die in 1973. But he was in Canada for a Census in 1916.

G E Gaunt : Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935

Gilbert E Gaunt
    1916 Canada Census of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta

He was born in 1885 in Edgbaston, Warwickshire, England.

Their youngest brother also joined them at some point, as he fought in WWI from Canada:

Name: John David Neele Gaunt
    Residence: Moyerton, Alberta, Canada
    Birth Date: 1 Mar 1895
    Birth Location: Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
    Relative: Wilmot Gaunt
    Relationship: Father
    Regiment Number: 625137

Would there be any other records available for either of these two, please? Again, thank you in advance for your help.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by pottoka View Post
    Is there anyone out there with an Ancestry sub covering Canada who would be prepared to look up a 1911 Census for me, please?
    If you visit automatedgenealogy.com/census11/ you will be able to see the entry - free!

He is recorded as single, Anglican and his occuaption is that of a Stationer. There are also other details, but I will let you have a look at those!

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by pottoka View Post
    Vernon Charles Patrick Gaunt, born in Holywell, County Down, Ireland in 1879, emigrated to Canada sometime after the 1901 England Census, although I can't find a record so I expect he rowed there to save money
    26 year old Vernon Gaunt, cabinet maker, born Ireland, came from County Down, arrived in Quebec in June 1906 on the 'Victorian'. His ultimate destination was somewhere I can't decipher completely, maybe (Geth?)ert Plains,

(From Ancestry's Canadian Passenger Lists 1865-1935)

Coromandel

Have a look at this virtual tour of St John's Anglican cathedral, Saskatoon:

https://
    stjohns.sasktelwebsite.net/tour.php

It refers to a stained glass window 'In memory of Vernon Charles Patrick Gaunt (1879-1974). Born in Ulster, he came to Saskatoon in 1907 and founded a printing business that later was known as Arrow Printing. The window, made by McCausland in Toronto, was installed in 1976. There is also a window for Mr. Gaunt in Knox United Church next door to St. John's on Spadina Crescent.'

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    26 year old Vernon Gaunt, cabinet maker, born Ireland, came from County Down, arrived in Quebec in June 1906 on the 'Victorian'. His ultimate destination was somewhere I can't decipher completely, maybe (Geth?)ert Plains,
    No such place as Gethert Plains, but there is a Gilbert Plains, in Manitoba, not far from Dauphin, where there's a 28 year old Vernon Gaunt on the 1906 census. The partial transcript on FamilySearch has him as born in England, not Ireland, though. If it is your Vernon he can't have been there very long before the census enumerator came calling.

P.S. you can see an image of the census return (dated 4 July 1906) on the Automated Genealogy site, which shows that this Vernon had arrived in 1906:
    https://
    automatedgenealogy.com/census06/

pottoka

Jan & Coromandel, please forgive the belated reply; I've not been around much lately - as you may have noticed

Thank you for all your interesting replies about Vernon Gaunt; it was enjoyable reading about him - even if making out the column headings on the Censuses was a bit hairy. (It helped knowing French, to compare words or read ones I couldn't make out in English!).

thank you for your help.