tandemduo

Default Middlesex Ties - Surname Mancur

All the following information was taken from Ancestry.com last winter.

My third great grandparents, John MANCUR [c. 1781-before 1851] and Sophia ALDRED [1786-before 1861] were married November 7, 1807 at St. Mary Newington, England. Parish records state that both were "of this parish." Witnesses were Sophia's parents, John and Martha ALDRED [will go into this ancestral line in another post]. Their first son, John Henry was born January 13, 1809 and baptized at St. Mary Newington on February 12, 1809. The next six children were baptized at St. Mary Staining, London: Richard Bennett and Sophia on same day May 13, 1813 [don't know if they were twins or one was a late baptism]; George Aldred November 3, 1814; James baptized November 10, 1816, buried January 4, 1817; Maria on November 1, 1818 and last Francis M.[my gg grandfather] on April 20, 1820. The Ancestry records do not go any further than this so I don't know if there were additional children.

John Mancur was listed as #20 Wood Street; occupation: hosier on the children's baptisms at St. Mary Staining. I have a few Land Tax Records, as well as entries in the London Gazette referring to a partnership with Thomas Morton, William Trentham and John Mancur of Lad-Lane, hosiers.

Sons George Aldred and Francis M went to Ontario, Canada in September 1840; the following year August 1841, John and Sophia and their unmarried daughter Sophia followed them to Canada.

Seeking birth info and parent lineage of John. Also need to flesh out information on children Richard Bennett Mancur and Maria Mancur.

As I am sure we all know the surname spellings have been greatly varied, Manker, Mankar, Mancar, Manciur, Manckur, Mankur, Mancure, etc.

All suggestions gratefully accepted.

Mutley

As a starter: John age 60 and Sophia age 50 with daughter Sophia age 25 (remember in 1841 ages were rounded down) lived in St. Giles, Camberwell. I cannot read the street name, it was #63. John was a pastry cook.
    All of them are listed as NOT being born in the county, which was Surrey, so hopefully they are all Middlesex folk.
    HO107/1052 f. 1/12 p. 16

I'll keep looking...

[Edit] Looking at the next census page, the address was Albany Road.

Mutley

You may already have seen this, there is a mention of John and the addresses you have posted on a web page regarding a William Turney. It lines up with the Gazette entries and the directories, the date is 1824.
    https://
    myweb.tiscali.co.uk/hampson/famtree/n1109.html

Mutley

There is a possible burial for Richard Bennett under the name Mancker on the 10 Jan 1846 age 35 (1811) at Witton-cum-Twambrook, Chester, Cheshire. (Source: Chester Bishops Transcripts)

I'd like to have found him in 1841 but cannot so far.

Mutley

The death of Richard Bennett Manckur was registered at Northwich, Cheshire in March 1846. It will tell you the reason for his death, it might tell you that it was registered by a wife. You can order it from the GRO for £9.25.

tandemduo

Default John Mancur residences

Thank you so very much for all your posts. A pastry cook - now that surprises me for I have found nothing that would indicate that occupation. Thanks again

From Land Tax Records: John & Sophia resided 1825-1831 St. Paul, Covent Gardens, Westminster; as did Sophia parents John & Martha Aldred 1801-1807 - that's as far as I have gotten with the records on Ancestry.
    Last edited by tandemduo; 18-11-2012 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Additional Information

tandemduo

I think I may have found Richard on the 1841 Census on an internet site entitled "Find My Past". Their entry is: "Richd B Mancur, Wales & Scotland Census, County: Cheshire; Registration District: Northwich; Year: 1841; Birth Year: 1816; Age: 25" Would you be so kind as to look up this on the 1841 England Census for me?

This site also has entries for his Death/Burial in 1846 in Cheshire in Quarter 1 with spelling variations of Manckur, Mancker, and Mancher

Thanking you very much in advance - Barbara

Reputation beyond repute

FindMypast does not permit lookups but the census entry can easily be found on Ancestry using wild cards eg Richd B Man*

The reference is The National Archives; HO 107/92/1 f 4 p 2

There is nobody else in the dwelling with the same surname. His occupation is shown as Engineer.

Some six months ago, Mutley found you the reference for Richard B's death and advised getting the certificate. What does the death certificate say?