Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    oldsoldier

Smile 195 squadron raf wratting common 43to45

hello everyone i am a new member who is researching a certain raf squadron and airbase, it is research for the familly. i am also interested in other squadrons and i am slowly putting together a mixed file in reference to the raf squadrons, if anyone would like to veiw the files , photos , ect send me your e.mail and i will let you veiw what i have, this way i hope that if anyone can help me with files , photos , ect it will be appreciated. just a short story to show how i became interested in the raf, my wifes uncle was shot down on the 7/8 march 1945 while on a lancaster mission , out of the crew of 7, 5 bailed out and 2 died in the aircraft , of the 5 who bailed 3 or 4 were murdered after capture , the account is longer than what i have wrote but you get the general idea and this is the reason i am interested in all aspects of the raf 40 to 45 , but also why i am researching in deph 195 squadron

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Just in case you haven't come across this site, just add www.

raf.mod.uk/bombercommand/h195.html

It gives a brief history of Squadrons and Air Bases.

Keith

Jan1954

Hello oldsoldier - welcome to Brit-Gen,

You may also find the book, "Cambridgeshire Airfields in the Second World War" of interest to you.

-tmm-

Have you ever visited the airfield site? There are several buildings remaining including one of the T2 hangars and a small memorial. Google earth should give you a good idea of what's still there.

RAF Wratting Common was originally named West Wickham (the closest village) but was often confused with RAF High Wycombe, so they changed the name to Wratting Common.

The first squadron at Wratting Common was 90 Squadron which came from RAF Ridgewell (where I live) in May 1943. I help run a small museum at Ridgewell, primarily for the 381st BG USAAF, but also for 90 Squadron too. I don't know a lot about 195 Squadron though unfortunately.

sniper617

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    hello everyone i am a new member who is researching a certain raf squadron and airbase, it is research for the familly. i am also interested in other squadrons and i am slowly putting together a mixed file in reference to the raf squadrons, if anyone would like to veiw the files , photos , ect send me your e.mail and i will let you veiw what i have, this way i hope that if anyone can help me with files , photos , ect it will be appreciated. just a short story to show how i became interested in the raf, my wifes uncle was shot down on the 7/8 march 1945 while on a lancaster mission , out of the crew of 7, 5 bailed out and 2 died in the aircraft , of the 5 who bailed 3 or 4 were murdered after capture , the account is longer than what i have wrote but you get the general idea and this is the reason i am interested in all aspects of the raf 40 to 45 , but also why i am researching in deph 195 squadron
    Hi Old Soldier,

Welcome to the forum. Do you know what sort of mission your wife's uncle was on and his aircraft numbers etc. If not i can look that up for you.

Sniper

oldsoldier

he was on operatiom dessau march 7/8th march 1945 lancaster ng-186 , i know who shot down the lancaster , who murdered the airmen , what i need to know is where the bodies were located , and when . this is stored in file No AIR2/7088 which is in the national archives in kew london , if anyone lives near the archives and can photo the files i would be very gratefull .

bibliojunkie

Hello old soldier. The reference you gave was not recognised by The National Archives (TNA) search facility. I did try AR/7088 instead which brought up war related files. There are folk here who are expert in finding the appropriate record. Someone will be able to point you in the right direction if you have more detail regarding the subject of the file you are looking for.

Once found, it is easy to download the file once you have paid the fee. I am a technophobe but have managed to obtain TNA files online.

Ali

PS Re where the bodies were located, do you mean the graves? The Commonwealth War Graves Site (CWGC) site should tell you where the bodies are buried or note if they are commemorated on the Runnymede memorial.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    what i need to know is where the bodies were located , and when . this is stored in file No AIR2/7088 which is in the national archives in kew london , if anyone lives near the archives and can photo the files i would be very gratefull .
    AIR 2/7088 is described as ...

Air Ministry and Ministry of Defence: Registered Files
    LEGISLATION: Legal General (Code B, 56/3): War Crimes information received from Judge Advocate General on unidentified casualties, covering dates 1945-1949.

If this is the item you want, you can click this link to access the catalogue entry.

Quote Originally Posted by bibliojunkie View Post
    Once found, it is easy to download the file once you have paid the fee.
    The file is not downloadable online. You need to click Ordering and Viewing options to order an estimate from TNA for copying it. This is the best approach because it may be rather too large a file to ask a "volunteer" to go to Kew and photograph it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by bibliojunkie View Post
    The Commonwealth War Graves Site (CWGC) site should tell you where the bodies are buried or note if they are commemorated on the Runnymede memorial.
    I'm not sure how that would work if the casualties are unidentified?

bibliojunkie

Oops! A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I should have known better than to offer advice when it comes to the TNA. Apologies to oldsoldier for querying the reference and thanks to Kerrywood for setting the record straight.

Regarding the CWGC and Runnymede, I presumed oldsoldier was aware of the crew’s identities, or had some knowledge, as he stated ‘out of the crew of 7, 5 bailed out and 2 died in the aircraft , of the 5 who bailed 3 or 4 were murdered after capture.’ I am sorry if I misunderstood what he said.

Ali

oldsoldier

thanks everyone yes the file i am looking for is the war crimes report AR2/7088 my wifes uncle donald was shot down and some ( or all ) were murdered by the german officials / civillians . i know for definite at least 4 bodys were recovered by 1947 ( 2years later ) but that left 3 bodies not recovered at that time , i have files to show this (official) and who killed them but its like a thorn in my side trying to find out the whole story ( AR2/7088 ). my relatives are keen to compile a familly file about this as he was the youngest child and didnt need to go on this mission. his sister ( o.a.p ) would like an answer. they were going to visit his grave in december but since were not sure if he is actually buried there. yes we have contacted the war graves but they hold no info. if i ( we ) could get to the archives easilly we would and photo all the said file. many thanks for your help , i think i worked out a price for the file at £ 64 is this correct !!!!!
    Last edited by oldsoldier; 14-10-2010 at 6:32 PM. Reason: update

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast