Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Heather Bond

Default R.A.F. Areodrome Warmwell, Dorchester, Dorset

I have a photo of a young fellow in Uniform, I believe he is a great uncle of mine.
    On the back of the photo it says:
    W.H.Yates
    Room A 3, No 6 A.T.S.
    R.A.F. Areodrome
    Warmwell
    ....Dorchester
    Dorset

I think that he is William Yates born about 1918, he would have been born in Tunstal Lancashire. No one in our family has any information on him, we only have his picture. Can someone help me find out more about William H. Yates? I believe his parents were Richard Thomas Yates and Emily nee Shuttleworth, Yates.
    Regards,
    Heather

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Heather Bond
    No one in our family has any information on him, we only have his picture.
    You could perhaps start with his birth certificate:

William H YATES, March quarter 1918, Lunesdale registration district (this covers Tunstall), volume 8e, page 836, mother's maiden name SHUTTLEWORTH

Heather Bond

Hi Jan,
    I thought there would be some way to trace him through R.A.F. I know when and where he was born and who his parents are but with no census etc. we know nothing more about him. He was my grandfather's younger brother and I believe he stayed in the UK where my grandfather Edmond Yates came to Canada.
    Kind Regards,
    Heather

Jan1954

Ah. As you had said that he was born about 1918 and...
    No one in our family has any information on him, we only have his picture.
    I thought that you knew nothing further.

Have you looked into following him through electoral rolls or even street directories?

You could always apply to the Veterans Agency (veterans-uk.info/index.htm) for a copy of his Air Force records, but I believe that you would have to prove that you are his next of kin. Check the website to make sure that I have not dreamed it.

Heather Bond

Hi Jan,
    Yes, I found him on BMD and I'm 99% sure that he is William H. Yates that is in my photo, and on the back of the photo it says:

W.H.Yates
    Room A 3, No 6 A.T.S.
    R.A.F. Areodrome
    Warmwell
    ....Dorchester
    Dorset
    No one in our family knows who he is, well except what I have just found. I couldn't find any death records. I'll go check to see if he got married.
    Heather