Annette Jeffrey

Default The Island of Barbuda

Hello

My name is Annette Smith (nee Jeffrey). I am very interested in my grandad's family history. He was born, Edward Clement Oliver JEFFREY on the island of Barbuda on the 31st March 1874. After a recent visit to London I was able to see his sea book and I would be fascinated to know what the ships cargo was on the different vessels he was aboard. His book has his number inside and a list of the vessels he sailed on, date and place of engagement, date and place of discharge, description of voyage amongst other information. I was pleased to say that it also recorded his conduct throughout his trips and they all said "very good"! If anyone could help, i would be so grateful.

Many thanks Annette

Jan1954

If anyone can help Annette with tracing further details of her Grandfather's ancestry on Barbuda, please do so here.

However, if you are able to help with the cargo details of the ships, please do so on Annette's other thread.

Thank you,

There is a public tree on Ancestry which says that Edward Clemont Oliver Jeffrey was born on Barbuda on 31 July 1874, the son of Urias Jeffrey. As this is quite an unusual name I put it into Ancestry and it came up with a slave register for Antigua dated 1832 which had a four year old Urias Jeffrey owned by Sir Christopher Bethell Codrington

There is also a two year old posting at
    https://www
    .candoo.com/surnames/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=985
    which may interest you
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Heather

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    There is a public tree on Ancestry which says that Edward Clemont Oliver Jeffrey was born on Barbuda on 31 July 1874, the son of Urias Jeffrey. As this is quite an unusual name I put it into Ancestry and it came up with a slave register for Antigua dated 1832 which had a four year old Urias Jeffrey owned by Sir Christopher Bethell Codrington

There is also a two year old posting at
    https://www
    .candoo.com/surnames/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=985
    which may interest you
    Annette.....I know the actual descendant of Christopher Bethell Codrington and he is also "Chris Codrington". He is the Admin for the Caribbean List on Rootsweb and would be a fount of info. I always knew his family to be immensely well to do and according to what Sue found, it seems he had estates on more than one Island.

The other Candoo List is one cobbled together by a Toronto, Ontario person and it obviously has some info according to Sue. We all put our queries on that list many years ago.

Good luck and if you need any help, you can contact me on here or by private message.