Loves to help with queries

Default William Parkes. 1879

Hello. I am looking for William Parkes. who was born in 1879 in Kidderminster. to Emma Oliver. and Edward Thomas Parkes. he is on every cencus from 1881 to 1911. he died in Canada in about 1955. i would like to find out when he went to Canada. i don't have access to Canadian records. can any one help please. thank you.

gasser

There is a William Parkes' [born Kidderminster 1879] WW1 Attestation paper on Library and Archives Canada which is free to access.

Coromandel

Here's a link to the attestation papers which gasser has found:

https://www.
    collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-119.01-e.php?id_nbr=564231&PHPSESSID=p5jpvud1hhso9tuh5b4j ggn550

These give William's next of kin as wife Florence Pilling(?) Parkes. I couldn't make her address out (apart from 'Ont.'), but then had a look at FamilySearch, which has an Florence Ellen Parkes, wife of Wm Parkes and daughter of John Evans, dying 16 July 1921 at Welland, Ontario. Going back to the attestation form I have now convinced myself that the address could say 162 Welland St, Welland, Ont.

Loves to help with queries

Thnk you for your replys. i will take a look.

janbooth

He must have journeyed to Canada sometime between 1911 & 1913 as Ancestry have the image of his first marriage record
    on 1st July 1913 at Welland. The writing is not particularly clear, but the gist is that he was aged 34, born Kidderminster, resident of Welland, a Foreman at a Pipe Mill, a bachelor, and his parents Edward Thomas PARKES & Emma OLIVER. It also states that he was a resident of Welland for ? months (the figure is almost non-existant so pretty impossible to read but at least you know it was under a year). Florence Ellen EVANS was aged 31, born Kidderminster, resident of Welland, a spinster, parents John EVANS & Annie BARKER? (her mother's surname has a splodge in the middle of it!) and the witnesses were Phillip FLINN and Mrs Ellan GASTON, both of Welland.

Janet

janbooth

Looking at the transcription by Ancestry, they show Florence's mother as Annie BARBER.

Ancestry also have a Canadian Passenger Lists record for a William PARKES, aged 32, a Plumber, departing from Liverpool and arriving at Quebec on 19 May 1911 on the Victorian - could this be your William?

There is also a death record at Welland County Hospital on 16 July 1921, burial 18 July 1921 at Woodlawn of Florence Ellen PARKES who was aged 40 and her date of birth was 30 September. Her husband is shown as William PARKES of 108? Oakland Avenue, Welland and her father as John EVANS. She had been resident in Welland 10 years and the cause of death was a tubercular right kidney. She had an operation prior to death and an autopsy was carried out. Gosh, what a lot of information shown in comparison to our death certificates!

There is a Canadian Passenger List record on the Victorian departing from Liverpool and arriving at Quebec on 27 June 1913 for a Florence E EVANS, aged 31, single, travelling to Welland, Ontario.

Hope this helps further

Janet

gasser

Ancestry also have a Canadian Passenger Lists record for a William PARKES, aged 32, a Plumber, departing from Liverpool and arriving at Quebec on 19 May 1911 on the Victorian - could this be your William?
    Most likely....his attestation papers (dated 14th April 1915) say he was a plumber and that he had served in the imperial army for 3years.