Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tayswain

Question Tracing My Convict Ancestors

I wonder if someone could give me some advice on how to go about tracing two of my ancestors who spent some time in prison.

The first is my maternal grandfather, Jeremiah Barry. I haven't been able to find a birth certificate for him and there is some doubt as to whether he was born here or in Ireland. His father was Irish and I know that he was here before Jeremiah was born and I have also found Jeremiah on the 1891 census in Poplar, London, stated as being 8 years old. I also know from family stories that he spent 1 year in prison for attacking an army officer. This would have been after 1907, as my aunt, who was born that year, said that she was taken to court by her mother to plead for him not to be given the death penalty by firing squad. Knowing that he had spent time in prison, I recently came upon the Old Bailey online. I thought I would search for his name, not thinking that I would actually find something, but I did. I found a trial at the Old Bailey on 26th June 1905 for a violent theft/robbery. The defendents were 3 people, one of which was Jeremiah Barry aged 26. Going by the 1891 census, Jeremiah would have been 22 then, but there are too many coincidences. Firstly, Jeremiah was a docker and in the transcript of the trial, the men say that they were waiting where the ships come in to unload coal. Also, it is in the area of Ratcliffe, which was around about Wapping. My family, came from the Isle of Dogs, which is very close. The paperwork also mentions that Jeremiah had one previous conviction of felony at the Clerkenwell Sessions on 1st April 1895.

The second is my paternal great grandfather, Albert Ernest Sandell. He was born in St Leonards Road, Bow in 1872. He had a brother called Alfred, who was born in 1875. Electoral Registers show Albert living with his wife Rebecca at 12 Annabel Street, Poplar. Once again, family members say that he was not a stranger to the police. The confusion arises in 1901, when at 12 Annabel Street, I find Rebecca living with Alfred (it says he was born in 1872) and that she is his wife. I also find a Albert Edward Sandell (born in 1872 in Old Ford, Bow, which is the same area as St Leonards Road) on the census for Wormwood Scrubs. I don't know which is the real Albert Ernest Sandell.

My question is how can I find out if the Old Bailey Jeremiah is indeed my grandfather and if the Albert Edward Sandell in Wormwood Scrubs is my great grandfather (could they have made a mistake with his name)? What information would court records give me to prove this and where would they be held? I would like to find out about the 1895 case at Clerkenwell, the 1905 case at the Old Bailey, the other case for Jeremiah when he spent a year in prison and about why Albert Edward (Ernest) was in Womwood Scrubs in 1901. I have tried to look to see what the London Metropolitan Archives has, but can't find any records that cover these dates.

Any advice that anyone could give me would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Lizzy9

An Albert Ernest Sandell of Burford's Court, East India, Dock Road, was named as a life saver in an article in Reynold's newspaper, Sunday, June 26, 1898; Issue 2498.

Part of the report: He dived several times into the water and rescued in all seven persons. A lady who stood by was so filled with admiration that she impulsively took a jewelled locket from her watch chain and gave it to Sandell as a memento of the occasion.

Tayswain

Thanks Lizzy. I did know about Albert also being an hero and saving lives. It was called the Blackwall Disaster. I didn't, however, know about the lady with the jewelled locket. How did you find this article?

Lizzy9

It's from the '19th Century British Library Newspaper' database, which is available at most public libraries, I can gain home access via my library card.

Tayswain

Thanks for that. I will have to do more research into this in the library. I don't think I can gain home access. I wouldn't know how to go about it.

Lizzy9

There's other reports in different newspapers. You can contact me via PM (private message) if you'd like further info.

Lizzy9

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswain View Post
    Thanks for that. I will have to do more research into this in the library. I don't think I can gain home access. I wouldn't know how to go about it.
    Are you a member of a public library, if so which one?

Tayswain

I live in Grays, Essex and belong to the Blackshots Library, which is a Thurrock Library. I will probably PM you at the weekend for more information, if you don't mind. I should be going to bed. I have work in the morning.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

The first is my maternal grandfather, Jeremiah Barry
    Have you seen the Army record on line at A******* 14 pages included are details of his marriage certificate and date of birth of his children
    There is also a medal card

Jeremiah Barry
    Birth Year: abt 1883
    Age at enlistment: 31
    Birth Parish: Poplar
    Document Year: 1914
    Regimental Number: 1524
    Regiment Name: 4th Middlesex Regiment

Tayswain

Hi Geneius,

yes I have seen the Army record and medal card, which is very interesting, but doesn't shed any light on the court case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast