Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Name well known on Brit-Gen

I appreciate the Army record is not connected with your query, it does bear some relevance inasmuch as your ancestors recorded behaviouraand the dates of marriage and his children.

Jeremiah signed up for 1 year of service in 1914 , he states that he had been in the Army previously for 6 years, have you seen that record?

The Old Bailey case makes mention to the Army in 1905.
    BARRY against whom one previous conviction was proved— Judgment respited, so that his character when in the Army might be inquired into. The judge went on to describe them as 'most desperate men in the neighbourhood!

I found this on google search

A number of gangs went by the name Forty Thieves, the most famous being one in 1820s New York and another later on in south London. [John] Carey remained a member of the east London version and was jailed again in 1896, with three others, for burglary. Police described them as members of a dangerous gang. In 1906, Carey was sentenced to five years penal servitude, with Jeremiah Barry and Samuel Bromley, for robbery with violence...

the book is: Gangs of London [Paperback] Brian McDonald (Author)
    › Visit Amazon's Brian McDonald Page

The site: https://sites.
    google.com/site/londonstreetgangs/gang-lists/london-gangs-before-the-1950s

Ack site & author

Searching the local papers may help

Name well known on Brit-Gen

The Jeremiah BARRY in the article at the Old Bailey was born circa 1879 a few years before yours. A search of the records throws up

Jeremiah BARRY b 1877, in 1891 he can be found in ST Vincents Indutrial School RG12 643 55 2

This site has details of how you can obtain records of the school.
    https://www.
    missing-ancestors.com/st_vincent%20boys%20dartford%20kent%20info.htm
    Last edited by Jan1954; 02-11-2012 at 6:41 AM. Reason: Website asks for donations

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswain View Post
    Electoral Registers show Albert living with his wife Rebecca at 12 Annabel Street, Poplar. Once again, family members say that he was not a stranger to the police. The confusion arises in 1901, when at 12 Annabel Street, I find Rebecca living with Alfred (it says he was born in 1872) and that she is his wife. I also find a Albert Edward Sandell (born in 1872 in Old Ford, Bow, which is the same area as St Leonards Road) on the census for Wormwood Scrubs. I don't know which is the real Albert Ernest Sandell.
    If you search in the 19th Century British Library Newspapers or the subscription site British Newspaper Archive for "Albert Sandell" you will find a reference to a hearing at the Thames Police Court of 'Albert Sandell, 29, a married man, of 12, Annabel-street, Poplar' on a serious charge (details are given but I won't post them here: be warned that they are most unpleasant). (Reynolds's Newspaper, 30 December 1900). The article refers to him having been awarded a medal for saving lives in the 'Albion' disaster.

The magistrates 'committed the defendant, who denied the charge, to the sessions for trial.' As the trial must have been in 1901 it is too late for the 19th Century newspapers website.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    The magistrates 'committed the defendant, who denied the charge, to the sessions for trial.' As the trial must have been in 1901 it is too late for the 19th Century newspapers website.
    Maybe the County of London Sessions? I haven't yet discovered where trial records would be.

There are some 'after-trial calendars of prisoners' in HO 140 at Kew, e.g. for 1901:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...s?uri=C2717273

Tayswain

Hi Coromandel,
    Thank you so much for this information. I don't think I'm very good at searching newspaper archives. I have searched for the 19th Century British Library Newspapers (www. bl.uk), and entered Albert Sandell, but it doesn't turn up any results. What am I doing wrong?

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswain View Post
    I have searched for the 19th Century British Library Newspapers (www. bl.uk), and entered Albert Sandell, but it doesn't turn up any results. What am I doing wrong?
    Perhaps you are using the main British Library search form rather than their newspaper search? I will come back to explain how to use their own newspaper search, but first here's the way I usually do it. I search the 19th c. newspapers from home via my local library, so I log in via my local library not the British Library. I see that Essex County Council libraries allow you to do this (can you get yourself a ticket from one of their libraries?).

If you can't get free access via your local library, then you can buy a 24 hour pass or 7 day pass to search via the British Library site.

Go to the advanced search here:

https://
    newspapers11.bl.uk/blcs/dispAdvSearch.do?prodId=BLCS&userGroupName=blcsuse r

Put "albert sandell" in the top box and press search. You'll get three results. The last one should be the one you want. It has the headline 'The China War' which is offputting: but that's the headline on another article further up the same column.

Click on the headline 'The China War' and then you'll be prompted to register.

Another option is to get a subscription to the British Newspaper Archive instead. I think Reynolds's Newspaper is on there too, and you get the added benefit of being able to see 20th century material too.

I hope this helps! If you get stuck I can transcribe the details for you later.

Tayswain

Hi Coromandel,

Thanks for the information regarding the British Library. I looked at the Thurrock Library site (I do already have a library card), I logged in, but I couldn't find any newspapers on there, so unless I'm doing it wrong I don't think that this is an option. I looked at the link you sent for the British Library and so I know how to subscribe now, but I'm pretty busy today, so I will do it when I know I have time to sit and do some research. Thanks for all your help.

Lynne

Tayswain

Hi Geneius,

I thought I'd already sent this message to you, but can't find any record of it, so apologies if I'm sending it again. I just wanted to say thank you for answering my post and for the information regarding the other Jeremiah Barry. It seems more likely that this is the one at the Old Bailey, although I'm still not sure, because I can't find any army records for the other Jeremiah Barry. Anyway, there is a tree on Ancestry for him and I have contacted the owner, so perhaps he will know something about this. Thanks again. I will keep you posted if I find out any more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12