Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Moretti
    As the author of that section of the web site I would welcome any other ideas. Colin
    I have no idea whether they may appear or not, but what about Militia Ballot Lists? They wouldn't mention where someone came from, but may at least show when someone was in the country.

Also, wills are a particular favourite of mine, perhaps when someone died in this country they still had property or relatives in their country of origin - maybe just a place might be mentioned, but again it's a start.

From earlier times possibly subsidies may be worthwhile, just occasionally I've read something along the lines of "Jean le Blanc, a frenchman late of Paris" - though more frequently it's a case of "Jean le Blanc, an alien".

Diaries and journals kept by clerics and landowners may note the arrival of new people to a parish - especially foerigners (though for most of my rural Norfolk families, a foreginer was someone who lived on t'other side of the river).

Geoffers

Colin Moretti

Thumbs up Thanks

Hello Geoffers

Thanks for the suggestions, I shall follow them up and add something to the web site.

Colin

Midletonman

Default Irish Immigrants to England

Do you know what part of Ireland your folks may have come from? There are some on-line indexes for certain areas.
    Another possibilities is that you might get someone local prepared to look for you.

You might try joining a discussion list to this end. Y-Ireland would be my recommendation - it is a very active list but NOT a rigid one - the topics under discussion can be very wide ranging!

You can post your interests on there - giving as much detail as you possibly can - and you might get lucky. There are some very knowledgeable people there.

Good Luck

JohnWoods

Hi Midletonman,

Thanks for the suggestions, I've already found the From Ireland site but will ow join the yahoo group and see if that helps.

Not exactly sure where my folks come from I believe Richard Woods & Margaret Steele came from Belfast and John & Caroline Little were from Enniskillen. However, it could have been the other way round and it may only be from the Belfast & Enniskillen areas rather than the towns.

John

pulcinello

Default Irish immigrants to England

I found microfilms of registers Irish immigrants to England from about 1848 (sadly my lot were here before 1807 so I guess I've no hope of ever finding where they were from) at the Westminster Archives in London. Might be worth following up as they may have started out in London before moving to other parts of the country.

Skylark

Default Williams

To JohnWoods:
    Hello John,
    I cama across one of you queries by chance, about Richard Williams.
    In my family history is a Richard Williams born abt 1849. He was the youngest of 5 children, the oldest child, Margaret married my Great-grandfather Capt.David Jones, who had a ship called the Elisabeth. This Richard Williams married Margaret Lovatt and had 7 children.
    Is this ringing any bells?

Spangle

Smile

I find myself in a similar situation to John Woods. My family came from heaven knows where - possibly Germany as their name was Kohler - but I can only go as far back as 1830, where they are found in Dublin, Ireland. The son of the fella in Dublin in 1830 was my G G G Grandad, Thomas, who emigrated to England from Dublin in 1860-1862.

I managed to narrow down the date through a combination of his English marriage in 1862 and the Irish Times Archive online where Thomas was recorded as having been made bankrupt whilst working in the family's Dublin tailors business in December 1860.

I also discovered various adverts for the business and his brother's death notice of 1860, which described the brother as "the son of the LATE Charles Kohler", thus giving me, together with the trades directories, a rough idea as to when the father had died.

Furthermore, there was a notice detailing the arrival at Kingstown from England in 1887 of a J Kohler, on the Royal Mail Steamship. Although there were still Kohlers in Dublin at that time, (and probably still are - anyone know of any?!) I have not been able to connect this J Kohler to my family, and of course that particualar voyage is too late to be relevant to the date of 1860-ish which both John Woods and I are seeking, but there may be similar, earlier notices for Mr Wood's family.

Subscription to the Archive was only £7 for 24 hours, which was all I needed with a specific area to research and an unusaul surname, and it was well worth it. Might be worth a look.

Loves to help with queries

Now that the Irish census for 1911 is available free on line for Dublin, you may want to have a look in case more recent relatives throw any more light on the family connections. It is at www.
    census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Jill
    Researching COTTER Brosna Co Kerry and Glanworth Co Cork and Cork City
    QUAID Cloncagh Co Limerick and Cork City

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12