Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Janet - just looked more closely at your list of children and noticed Ann dying at 7 weeks an d George dying at 16 yrs. I wondered previously if George 1 had died , hence George 2 - who was her last child as far as I know.

janbooth

The Stonesfield parish registers are not online as far as I know. However, they can be purchased from Oxfordshire Family History website but I will check for you later today and see if both families go back far enough in Stonesfield to make it worth your while purchasing them. Will get back to you later - housework calls unfortunately!

Janet

janbooth

Both the SMITH & STONE families go another generation back in Stonesfield and some of the families they married into go even further back, so it could be worth your while purchasing the Stonesfield PR Transcripts - they come under the Woodstock Parish Registers 03 CD.

A brief resume of William & Sarah's ancestry:

8 January 1804 William SMITH son of Daniel & Mary SMITH baptised. Daniel SMITH married Mary HICKMAN on 5 November 1798 at Stonesfield. Daniel was buried 25 January 1845, aged 82 but he was not baptised in Stonesfield. Mary was buried 5 June 1839 aged 63 and she was baptised at Stonesfield.

11 February 1810 Sarah STONE daughter of John & Martha STONE baptised. John STONE married Martha TOWNSEND on 1 November 1795 at Stonesfield. John was buried 15 January 1849, aged 78, and was baptised in Stonesfield. Martha was buried 31 August 1862, aged 89 and according to the 1851 census was born in Fawler which comes under Charlbury parish at the time of her birth. I do have the PR transcripts of Charlbury and her baptism is on 14 November 1773 daughter of Richard & Ann TOWNSEND of Fawler.

Oxfordshire FHS have produced a wealth of parish register transcript CDs, so do have a look at their website.

Hope this helps further

Janet

Thank you again ! You have filled in so many gaps for me. I have been looking at Free BMD site and found a lot of Stones at Headington. ( couldn't find an option to check Stonesfield ) Do you think the Stonesfield / Headington Stones are the same people or relatives ? They seem to quite often have the same names as some of William and Sarah's children. My next quest is to find out if the Stones were Roma . Given their presence in Headington / Stonesfield it seems possible so I'll start a new line of research , if you have any suggestions for that area I would appreciate them so much ! Thanks again .

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Zingari View Post
    I have been looking at Free BMD site and found a lot of Stones at Headington. ( couldn't find an option to check Stonesfield )
    Hi again. The place names shown on FreeBMD are not parishes but registration districts. Stonesfield was in the Woodstock registration district, along with many other parishes. Here's a list:

https://www.
    ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/woodstock.html

And here's the one for the Headington registration district:

https://www.
    ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/headington.html

janbooth

There is no indication on any of the parish register transcripts that either the SMITH family or the STONE family were Travellers. They all seem to have been shown as Labourers. Whilst it is of course still possible that there are Romany or Traveller connections, they do seem to have remained in Oxfordshire for several generations.

I have also found the baptism of a Daniel SMITH at Chadlington on 6 March 1768, son of Daniel & Sarah. He does not appear to have been buried in Chadlington nor was he married there. No, we can probably rule him out as a Daniel SMITH of Chadlington married a Mary CALCUTT of Dean at Spelsbury on 1 October 1795 according to the Oxfordshire Marriage Index. Unless of course he was a widower when he married Mary HICKMAN at Stonesfield in 1798???

Janet

I think I have my Smiths going back to 1690 at Headington. I have found familysearch.org very helpful and various Gypsy sites. I can't find Mary Hickman, have her b 1776- d 1839 ( thanks to Janet ) but not her parents. As far as I know she married Daniel Smith in 1798 in Stonesfield ( Hickman was a Gypsy name from Oxfordshire ) Definitely come to a dead end here. So - I would appreciate any advise you can offer !! Many Thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123