Colin Rowledge

Default A death in New Jersey - BUT?

Thomas Albert Trethewey is on the 1940 U.S. census, living at #27 Lincoln Parkway, Bayonne, Hudson Co., New Jersey. He, his wife, 2 children and his unmarried sister had lived there since 1935.

He signed the required U.S. Draft registration in April 1942 and all his details match the 1940 census.

According to New Jersey, Find a grave Index 1664-2011 , he died in 1940!!!!!!

His burial place is supposedly at Hackettstown, Warren County, New Jersey. This obviously isn't the same bloke who signed the draft registration in 1942.

His widow, took a trip to Bermuda in 1949. The incoming passenger list - dated 8 December 1949 - shows her residence as 27 Lincoln Parkway.

So he died sometime between April 1942 and the autumn 1949 - but when?

How do I -
    1] Find his correct date of death and place of burial?
    2] If the index mentioned above is incorrect, how do I contact them?

Colin

jcmorey

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Thomas Albert Trethewey is on the 1940 U.S. census, living at #27 Lincoln Parkway, Bayonne, Hudson Co., New Jersey. He, his wife, 2 children and his unmarried sister had lived there since 1935.

He signed the required U.S. Draft registration in April 1942 and all his details match the 1940 census.

According to New Jersey, Find a grave Index 1664-2011 , he died in 1940!!!!!!

His burial place is supposedly at Hackettstown, Warren County, New Jersey. This obviously isn't the same bloke who signed the draft registration in 1942.

His widow, took a trip to Bermuda in 1949. The incoming passenger list - dated 8 December 1949 - shows her residence as 27 Lincoln Parkway.

So he died sometime between April 1942 and the autumn 1949 - but when?

How do I -
    1] Find his correct date of death and place of burial?
    2] If the index mentioned above is incorrect, how do I contact them?

Colin
    Hi Colin

If the Find A Grave entry I found is the same one you are referring to I think you are right it does not belong to your Thomas Albert Trethewey as not only would the date be wrong but the wife's name on the tombstone is Catherine and the wife in the 1940 is Johanna. If it was the right person but with wrong data you can click on the "edit" tab at the top of the memorial page and send a message to the person who created it explaining your concerns. They are the ones who can make changes to the memorial information.

Where have you searched for his death date? If you have tried sites like ancestry.com and familysearch.com and don't find anything have you tried looking for genealogy societies for the county he lived in? I would try this site: www.
    hudsoncountynjgenealogy.org/index.html
    See if they have a database where you can search for obituaries or local news items. Maybe they will have links to local libraries or historical societies that have local records.

Good luck
    Joyce
    Last edited by Mutley; 25-10-2012 at 8:15 PM. Reason: Edited URL - They have a shop. Please read AUP

Colin Rowledge

Thanks, Joyce for the tips in post #2.

I'm making some headway on this but don't want to either 'upset the apple-cart' or 'spend bucks' as he is a very distant [3rd cousin 2X removed] of mine.

I'll update later once I hear.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Thanks, Joyce for the tips in post #2.

I'm making some headway on this but don't want to either 'upset the apple-cart' or 'spend bucks' as he is a very distant [3rd cousin 2X removed] of mine.

I'll update later once I hear.

Colin
    I now have the correct dates and burial places in New Jersey for Thomas Albert, his wife Johanna as well as the parents and grandparents of Thomas.

He died in 1949

jcmorey

I now have the correct dates and burial places in New Jersey for Thomas Albert, his wife Johanna as well as the parents and grandparents of Thomas.

He died in 1949
    Glad you found him! Sorry about posting a link that had a shop. I didn't know they did. I just googled genealogy for that county. For future reference many counties in the US have been posting records to their websites. Not only indexes but some have actual copies of the documents that you can view/download.