Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    searchfamilies

Default Can't read a certificate

I am trying to read this marriage certificate of Henry Lawless (a police constable & with a name like that lol) & Elizabeth Murkin

I can't read where Elizabeth lived or one of the witnesses i know both are Barnes the 2nd one is Hannah but not sure on the 1st one also could you say the church i believe it is St Mary's Church

I have scan the certificate & have it in a PDF file but don't know how to attach it

Lizzy9

Elizabeth's address says............... Church of the Annunciation St Marylebone.

Charles Barnes was witness. The church where they married is St Mary's Paddington.

searchfamilies

Thanks Lizzy9
    I can't understand how come her address is this i know in 1901 on the census she was a servant to Hon WFD & Lady Smith & was living at

Civil parish: St George Hanover Square
    Ecclesiatical parish: St Paul Knightsbridge

So why was she at a Church no occupation is given on the marriage

Knowledgeable and helpful

It may be that she didn't want to use her employers address or that C of the A was her birth parish.

searchfamilies

Thanks Zen, no it not her parish & her mum & step-dad was living in Pancras her mum & i believe it her half brother are both witnesses
    Only thing i can put it down to was she was working there but had stopped just before the wedding but was allowed to stay

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by searchfamilies View Post
    Only thing i can put it down to was she was working there but had stopped just before the wedding but was allowed to stay
    This is certainly something to consider.

My grandmother, for example, declared the address of the big house where she had been working up to her marriage for the address on her wedding certificate instead of her parents house, although she was married from there and not the big house - if you see what I mean. Mind you, she always was a bit of a snob and probably baulked at the fact that her father was a farm labourer...

Reputation beyond repute

Only thing i can put it down to was she was working there
    Reasonable assumption

but had stopped just before the wedding but was allowed to stay
    I don't know why you added that bit. I would assume she worked up to the wedding day. There were advantages in marrying from your place of work - you might get a present.

searchfamilies

Thanks Jan1954
    As she married in Paddington would she be able to marry from Pancras i know that where you live can be a problem but her husband to be was in at the Police Station Paddington so may be that why they married in Paddington

searchfamilies

Default Is the Church still there

Can anyone tell me if the Church of the Annunciation St Marylebone is still there & if so any link to be able to e-mail them so i could ask if they knew why Elizabeth Murkin gave that as her address
    Also is this close to Paddington as i am also wondering why she didn't marry at this church

Jan1954

According to GENUKI:

The Annunciation: Quebec Chapel, Portman Square non-parochial, built 1787, became The Annunciation, Bryanston Street, Marble Arch in 1914. Still open. The church website has a history section.
    The baptismal registers start in the 1890s and are still in use. There are also apparently entries in a register at LMA catalogued as: SAINT MARY, BRYANSTON SQUARE, BRYANSTON SQUARE, SAINT MARYLEBONE, WESTMINSTER - Register of baptisms 1907-1928, including Brunswick Chapel, Church of Annunciation, and French Chapel.

The church has a website: www.
    annunciationmarblearch.org.uk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast