Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Ebook Reader Advice

Hi all

I have at last decided to purchase an ebook reader as my bookcase is now at its limit and I've decided enough is enough. I don't much about e-readers and so thought perhaps you guys might give me some advice. I've briefly looked at Kobo and Kindle but I really don't know which to go for - all I know is that I would like …

1. one with a light, so I can read in the dark
    2. to be able to backup up ebooks to my PC
    3. it must also have a reasonably long battery life, as I read a lot

I am off to a computer fair this Sunday and hopefully there will be some e-readers there. However, the format of the ebooks that Kobo/Kindle support is new to me and the ease (or not) of purchasing ebooks is also unknown to me. Any advice welcome!

Nicolina

I can recommend the Kindle, mine has been a godsend, especially during my recent spells in hospital. Dowloading is easy and there are thousands of books out there. Amazon has a free programme , Kindle For PC, which manages your downloads and even lets you read your books on the computer.

I have a Kindle but the light comes as part of the cover, not of the Kindle itself - well worth it as far as I am concerned but it does add to the initial cost as you have to buy the cover/light separately.

With the Kindle you have the option to download files to your PC and then transfer them to the Kindle via the USB cable (supplied as part of the charge-up system). I do it this way because I don't have Wi-fi, and didn't want to fork out extra for the 3G version. My brother, also without Wi-fi, sent his basic Kindle back and swapped it for the 3G version because he thought he couldn't get files any other way! However, as far as back-up is concerned, books you have bought remain on the Amazon server and can be reloaded on to your Kindle without further charge if you have deleted or lost them.

When I was in Italy last month I spent the best part of a week reading the Kindle by the pool and didn't have to recharge, but if the charge does run out you can plug it in and still continue to read while it is recharging.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I don't have an ebook reader, but I do remember that there was a thread connected with the subject some time ago. Don't know if it will help.

I did look into the possibility of buying one some time ago, and found that the main disadvantage was that not all the books I wanted were obtainable from one company, so in effect I would have needed two readers. However, the software you can download to convert one system to another should cure that.

Pam
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 18-10-2012 at 3:37 PM. Reason: Added the last paragraph

I have had a Sony EReader for a few years now and find it wonderful for travelling - no more carrying half a suitcase of paperbooks! So I buy holiday reading - all those paperbacks that gather dust on the shelves having been read once or twice.

Obviously the biggest problem is the different formats that ebooks come in and the lack of interchangability between readers. However, personally I look it at it a little bit like video formats (VHSvBetamax) and now the move to DVDs. Technology will never be totally harmonised, and it will never replace handling a beautifully illustrated paper book.

My advice, is find where you can try out the different types of reader, ask to try the ease of downloading and saving books etc., and then pick the one that you feel most comfortable with.

Megan

Reputation beyond repute

The new Kindle Paperwhite is worth looking at. It has a built in light and an 8 week battery life. Stuff you buy from Amazon is automatically backed up indefinitely by them.

The Kindle isn't compatible with UK public libraries' ebook lending arrangements.

The Sony Reader did well in Which? magazine.

Nicolina

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    I did look into the possibility of buying one some time ago, and found that the main disadvantage was that not all the books I wanted were obtainable from one company, so in effect I would have needed two readers. Pam
    why should you need two readers? You can simply download to your computer and then copy or move to your reader. I regularly download from different companies and have never had any problems.

For anyone needing to change formats, there is a free programme called Calibre that can be downloaded from https://
    calibre-ebook.com/
    Last edited by Jan1954; 18-10-2012 at 6:45 PM. Reason: Url edited - they ask for donations

Reputation beyond repute

https://
    calibre-ebook.com/
    Calibre is great! It's worth getting it just for the "News" facility. It grabs the content of a newspaper on the web eg Guardian, Indy, Telegraph etc, converts it all to ebook format and pops it on your device! Magic. I use it quite a lot.

Thank you all for your input. Also, cheers for the link to a previous thread on ereaders Pam and for pointing out software (Calibre) that can convert between formats Nicolina.

Peter, the Kindle Paperwhite does look good and I am rather drawn to that model. It seems like a major shame that with any Kindle, one can't borrow from a public library.

So far, I have been comparing and considering these...

• Kindle Paperwhite
    • Kindle Fire HD (but I don't think this has a front light and the battery doesn't last as long as the paperwhite)
    • Kobo Glo

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Calibre is great!
    I had not heard of Calibre before, so I did a bit of searching to see what I could find and found this review to be very useful.

https://
    webdesign.about.com/od/epub/fr/review-of-calibre-epub-conversion-software.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast